"Fish Breathers" on the horizon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
1 kilo bat = 1 hour, I use 12 lbs so give me about 5 of those!

seriously though, that's awesome.

If everything goes according to plan, in a few years the new tankless breathing system will be operational and will be attached to a diver in the form of a vest that will enable him to stay underwater for a period of many hours.
Oh, to hear the DIR people now. :wink:

Yeah, but that's assuming your diving in oxygen rich waters. You'll have to take a chemistry set along with you to ensure there is a high enough oxygen content in the water before you can dive. I think I'm going to stick with a compressed gas cylinder for a while.

Oh, a couple more comments that just came to me. Will it provide enough air should you need to share air? What kind of back-up system will there be if the unit shorts out (still lugging tanks around, I guess). What would be the proper procedure should the need to buddy breathe be?

It can't work until we have a portable power source many, many times more powerful than the best battery available. So, he is idling until then. Nice idea though...

Firebrand:
Yeah, but that's assuming your diving in oxygen rich waters. You'll have to take a chemistry set along with you to ensure there is a high enough oxygen content in the water before you can dive. I think I'm going to stick with a compressed gas cylinder for a while.
Not sure if you meant to say air instead of oxygen, but his system does NOT produce oxygen, it provides plain ol' air.

It also seemed he was leaning towards using the system for re-breathers. In which case you would still need the scrubber. From what little I know about re-breathers, isn't the actual oxygen and dillutent tanks pretty small? I don't see how this system would be much more compact. Plus his system would only be providing the delutant, you would still need to bring an 02 bottle.

Or maybe I'm just confused?

At any rate, it's a cool idea, and I'm sure at some point in the future this kind of stuff will be a reality! Can't wait!

JasonH20:
Not sure if you meant to say air instead of oxygen, but his system does NOT produce oxygen, it provides plain ol' air.

It also seemed he was leaning towards using the system for re-breathers. In which case you would still need the scrubber. From what little I know about re-breathers, isn't the actual oxygen and dillutent tanks pretty small? I don't see how this system would be much more compact. Plus his system would only be providing the delutant, you would still need to bring an 02 bottle.

Or maybe I'm just confused?

At any rate, it's a cool idea, and I'm sure at some point in the future this kind of stuff will be a reality! Can't wait!
actually I think he really did mean oxygen as in this device seperates the oxygen from the water and gives it to you to breath, and if there isn't enough oxygen in the water, like in many lakes and rivers, especially with some polution, the device may not be able to keep up with your demands.

Back
Top Bottom