Mix and Match Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonH20

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know this is probably a dumb question (I know, no such thing :05: ), but in general is there any reason not to mix 1st and 2nd stages from different manufactures?

See, I just received a wonderful gift from ScubaBoard, a brand new Mares Abyss regulator :wave-smil , and was thinking of just putting the second stage on my current reg witch is a ScubaPro MK16/S550. The S550 would become my octo, and I'd try out the Abyss for my primary.

Or I could move everything over onto the Mares 1st stage, but it's yoke and rather than DIN like my MK16. I could either put the converter plug back in my tank valve and use it as yoke, or get it convereted to DIN. And again, the Abyss would be my primary and the S550 would be my octo.

Or I could just buy another 2nd stage, SPG, and hoses and have 2 complete reg setups. For those that have 2 complete reg setups, how often do you use each? It's just that I've finally pretty much gotten all my equipment purchased and am in the "just enjoy what I got" phase of my diving. Not really wanting to start plunking down even more money for additional equipment that I don't need.

Anyways, just looking for ideas. I don't want to just let the reg sit around though until I succumb to moving to doubles. :)

Thanks,
Jason

I'm partial to DIN Jason, so I'd probably stick to the Scubapro....The IP for Scubapro regs should be in the the 128-139 range, and the Mares should be in the 128-132 range, so if the IP on the MK16 is set to the low end, you should be fine.

I don't know how many dive vacations you do, but you may consider buying another 2nd stage and hoses for the Mares and use that as a warm water reg since it's yoke. I have the SP MK16/G250 for my single tank and really like it, but I finally bought the yoke kit for it for my vacations as I can't stand using a DIN to yoke adapter.

Try it out and see how you like it. Putting the Abyss 2nd stage on the Scubapro may make up your mind for you, one way or the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom