The Trouble with Sun Block...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubageezer

Reaction score
I made what appeared to be a rookie mistake while diving in the Keys. Being red haired (what little is left), blue eyed and fair skinned, I tend to burn to a crisp rather easily. To combat the evil UV rays in Florida on my first warm water trip, I slathered myself with spf 1bazillion before heading out for our first morning dives.

Toward the end of my first dive, I had a bit of leakage in the mask and went to clear it. It's very common for me to not close my eyes when clearing a little water - big mistake. The sunblock remaining on my face burned the h... out of my eyes - I actually had to keep opening and closing my eyes until I found a clear space in some sand to set down, take the mask off and rub the rest of the sunblock off my face and eyes.

I now clean my face of any residue before a dive and always close my eyes when clearing my mask but was wondering if anyone knows of a good tearless sunblock that actually works.

Yes, I second the kiddie sunblock. Usually the same price as non-kiddie sunblock, and just as effective. This stuff usually doesn't sting your eyes.

In many warm water reef locations, they only allow you to wear organic sunblock, as the non-organic stuff is causing damage to the reefs.

I would say the same thing to people going on a river rafting trip...

Don't put sunblock on your forehead... IT will wash into your eyes... Wear a HAT to keep the sun off of your forehead, and sunglasses to protect your eyes.

You won't have sunscreen under your mask then.

I also use the heavy duty, waterproof stuff, but I make sure I apply it before I head out for a day of diving. This way it's absorbed. So far its worked for me - even tho it's meant applying sunscreen at 5 a.m. for some trips.

dlndavid:
In many warm water reef locations, they only allow you to wear organic sunblock, as the non-organic stuff is causing damage to the reefs.

Good point.

Sunblock, I've been told by experts, is also bad for marine mammals and fish.

Prior to fish feeds and dolphin dives/snorkels, participants are often told - on the pain of death - that they are not to touch marine life with sunblock-covered hands.

Just reiterating what other posters have added.
Get a sunblock that's water & sweatproof, that way you're sure that it won't run into your eyes at inopportune moments.

I use a Sea & ski sport sunblock product before that I used a similiar Coppertone product.
Try to get one that's SPF 30 and that protects against UVA/UVB light.

I didn't use sunblock on my face before a dive for a long time because of the concern for it getting in my eyes. One day I just went for it. I apply it sparingly on my forehead and face area covered by the mask. Never had a problem. Actually, I found it improved the seal between mask and face.

There is bio-degradable sunblock available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom