Ft. Lauderdale in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

del_mo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Would someone give me a clue to what kind of water conditions I might expect for the greater FLL area in March. Never too early to start planning.

Shore diving last year was spotty. There were a few days that we expected to be awful and they turned out to be great. I looked at the archive and Jenny estimated 30' visibility on one of the few group shore dives in late March. That improved quite a bit in April, but it was on & off.

Boat diving is fine that time of year. You can pretty much count on good boat diving from Palm Beach County through the Keys.

Water temperatures are "cool" by our standards - low 80s at the surface with high 70's at depth. We get along with 3/2's mostly, but a few thin-blooded long-term residents go heavier - you won't go wrong heavier. We even see dry suits that time of year.
del_mo:
Would someone give me a clue to what kind of water conditions I might expect for the greater FLL area in March. Never too early to start planning.

MikeJacobs:
We even see dry suits that time of year.

So what are you trying to say there Mike? :D

I wear my 7mm... I don't care if people call me a whimp either... I would rather be warm and cozy if I'm going to be immersed for an hour + at 76 degrees.

I know someone (a floridian) who goes dry starting in November... dives all winter dry until the water gets well above 80.

howarde:
I wear my 7mm... I don't care if people call me a whimp either... I would rather be warm and cozy if I'm going to be immersed for an hour + at 76 degrees.

I know someone (a floridian) who goes dry starting in November... dives all winter dry until the water gets well above 80.

Anything below 78 and I am diving dry. I have a 3mm full and a drysuit. Nothing in between! :lol2: You do get strange looks with a dry suit in S. Florida but nobody looks twice when you get out of the water and instantly stop being cold in February. :D

LOL I got those funny looks and comments just last March. It was a beautiful warm day and I think everyone on the boat gave me a hard time because I was wearing my drysuit. I tried to tell them that even though it was warm on board the boat it was going to be cold in the 72 degree water after 35 to 40 minutes and even worse in the 70 degree wind when we got back onboard, but no one would believe me. Sure enough after the first dive everyone was cold and shaking while I was nice and warm. All I could do was smile and laugh. I'm actually wearing my drysuit this weekend. Were doing a deep wreck dive and I want to get used to wearing it again before winter sets in. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom