BC/Wing Plate vs. Jacket-style BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jocasseegirl

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a new diver - doing some research on BC's. I learned to dive with a jacket BCD, but I've heard of "wings and plates." Can someone please educate me on the difference, other than the fact that one is primarily just on your back? Can you wear double tanks with a jacket BC? Several of my friends wear the OMS BC with bands, but I haven't gotten a chance to question them about it. Thanks for your advice!

Just look at the bottom of this post for threads that are similar.........research? Ok, let me save you all the time, get a BP/W. You can dive single or doubles.

ShakaZulu:
Just look at the bottom of this post for threads that are similar.........research? Ok, let me save you all the time, get a BP/W. You can dive single or doubles.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Yes, you can dive doubles with some "regular" BCs, with the Zeagle Ranger being a noteworthy example. However, it's relatively rare to see anyone doing this. Two cylinders on your back is a lot of weight (and mass), and most people diving doubles prefer the relative strength and rigidity of the bp/w setup.

Frank

P.S. Welcome to www.ncdivers.com !

Do the search but there are basically 2 different types of BCs used today, the back inflate and the jacket style. The BP/wing is a type of back inflate but certainly not the only type. Other examples of the back inflates are the Zeagle BCs as well as several other manufactures. The main difference between the 2 types is the back inflate has some form of harness and tank support that does not contain any lift capability (no air bladder), the entire air bladder is attached to the rear section of the harness. The jacket type includes the air bladder in the "jacket" itself including the pannels that come to the frount. When a back inflate is inflated and deflated the harness never changes so the fit and feel of the BC never changes, in contrast the jacket style tends to sqeeze the diver as it is inflated and becomes loose as it's deflated. Buoyancy and trim chareristics are a good deal different. The difference between most back inflates and the BP/wing is in the harness and tank support. The BP/wing uses a single run of webbing and a metal or less commonly a plastic plate the attach the tank and bladder (wing) to. The other back inflate types use various methods to attach the tank and bladder to the harness. Some use soft backpacks and other use intergrated plastic. The BP/wing is basic in design with no intergrated weights or quick releases. I would suggest you rent/borrow several designs before makeing up your mind. It's a personal choice, I dive a back inflate but I really don't like the standard BP/wing. I prefer designs with intergrated weights and quick releases. That said, if you intend to go to doubles then a standard BP/wing would be the best choice. I find very little difference in the performance in a properly weighted and trimmed back inflate as opposed to a BP/wing.
I am unaware of any jacket style that will handle doubles but most heaver duty back inflates will.

herman:
I am unaware of any jacket style that will handle doubles but most heaver duty back inflates will.

The Seaquest Pro series of jacket style bcd handles doubles. Also it does not squeeze you when inflated, the air bladder slides on the waist belt when inflated. The pro is not weight intergrated (what I was supposed to get) and the Pro QD (what they sent) and the other pro series models and the back inflate Black Diamond are weight intergrated.

Edited to say some of the Seaquest bcd's have the Depth Compensating Waistband, the Pro QD and Pro being two of them.

If I would have went back to the days I am getting my 1st BCD again, I will go straight with BP+Wing.

I do own a SeaQuest ProQD+ and it does handle doubles, but this applies to size ML and above only.

herman:
Do the search but there are basically 2 different types of BCs used today, the back inflate and the jacket style. .

Nicely explained herman. One benefit of a BP/Wing is the modularity of the system which leads to more flexibility and yields addtional benefits like:
1. Switching wings for more lift when using singles or doubles is easier on a BP/Wing (for those times that you need more lift).
2. If you are traveling in warm waters, you can have a smaller wing to save on space in your luggage.
3. If the bladder punctures, a back inflate requires replacement of the entire.
4. Attachment of deco bottles is "easier" on a BP/Wing (all relative).
5. Finally, you're not limited to anyone manufacturer in configuring your rig and can mix and match everything (e.g., change the webbing to pink??).

Course, if you prefer to stick to one OEM, here's a good one (albeit expensive):

http://www.besea.poseidon.se

DiveGolfSki:
5. Finally, you're not limited to anyone manufacturer in configuring your rig and can mix and match everything (e.g., change the webbing to pink??).
source for pink webbing and/or bungee?? please??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom