Freediving Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone have any recommendations on basic/intro freediving training available in the Southern California area? I'm aware of the Performance Freediving clinics (http://www.performancefreediving.com/courses/upcoming.html), and they look pretty good, albeit expensive ($345 for two days...YIKES !!). My intent is only to learn how to do skindiving the correct way, and to greatly improve my breatholding capability. No interest in competitive freediving.

Right now my best static times are around 1:30 to 2:00, and my best dynamics (swimming underwater) are, on a really good day, around 40 seconds. I'd love to get a couple of minutes underwater while skindiving.

Any advice or recommendations? thanks.

mccabejc:
Anyone have any recommendations on basic/intro freediving training available in the Southern California area? I'm aware of the Performance Freediving clinics (http://www.performancefreediving.com/courses/upcoming.html), and they look pretty good, albeit expensive ($345 for two days...YIKES !!). My intent is only to learn how to do skindiving the correct way, and to greatly improve my breatholding capability. No interest in competitive freediving.

Right now my best static times are around 1:30 to 2:00, and my best dynamics (swimming underwater) are, on a really good day, around 40 seconds. I'd love to get a couple of minutes underwater while skindiving.

Any advice or recommendations? thanks.
Not sure what is out there in California. Wish you could come to Texas. I do 2 & 3 day clinics here with classroom, pool and open water training. We do simulated dives between 80 and 120 feet in the quarry where the clinic takes place. Good luck and I hope you find something that will help you.

Freediver,
Where do you do these clinics? I assume up near the Dallas area. I am in San Antonio and I have not heard of any clinics anywhere near. That is, outside of the clinic that Tanya used to do in Austin. I'd be very interested to get some details.

picksmither:
Freediver,
Where do you do these clinics? I assume up near the Dallas area. I am in San Antonio and I have not heard of any clinics anywhere near. That is, outside of the clinic that Tanya used to do in Austin. I'd be very interested to get some details.
Hey picksmither,
I do my clinics in East Texas at a local scuba park (Athens). I am about two hours SE of Dallas and about 6 hours from San Antonio.
Here is an informal outline of the clinic (note it is a clinic and does not offer certification):
Classroom:
Disciplines of freediving
competition vs recreation
equipment-selection, materials, use, features
physiology/physics
safety procedures
training aspects- ventilation, meditation, relaxation, aids....
Pool training
warmup training
ventilation
static practice
Open Water training
Safety/Rescue procedures and practice
Submersion practice
Vertical descents to 25'
Simulated descents 80' - 120' on diagonal line

This is a brief overview. I may have just done my last one for 2005. The Spring is busiest as I also teach lifeguard training and have a lot of lifeguards get into the clinics. Thanks for the interest and keep posting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom