what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is a pic I took in Cozumel last May, I know it's some sort of egg sac, but of what?

An egg case of some sort...?

Might be better to ask on the Cozumel forum...?

It's the egg case of the West Indian Chank [Turbinella angulata (Lightfoot, 1786)] - similar to the Horse Conch. I have an image that shows the eggs being laid. I'll look around and edit this post later.

Here you go: "Caught in the act!" Photo (c) Jeff Slimmon 2002, used by permission.

chankjeffslimmon2002.jpg

jlyle:
It's the egg case of the West Indian Chank - similar to the Horse Conch. I have an image that shows the eggs being laid. I'll look around and edit this post later.

Here you go:

Jim thankx! Way too cool! Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

Although I do believe 'Fin' is right, I need to head back down and see if there are any more of them around.

Wow.....ya don't get to see that happen very often! Thanks, Jim :thumb:

sharky60:
Although I do believe 'Fin' is right, I need to head back down and see if there are any more of them around.

I'll go with you! I've got lots of pictures of the eggs, but none of the creature. If you find a fresh egg case, look very carefully, you may see the little snails!

Few objects on the seafloor in the Caribbean generate as much speculation as this egg case - it's a clothes-drier hose, it's this big and white and..., it's a radiator hose from a marine engine, it's alive!...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom