how to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjpwong

Reaction score
hi everyone,
i have always been a keen water sportsman involving in swimming, surf life saving, water polo, surfing and took up scuba diving not long ago. i consider myself fairly strong on and under water and able to hold my breath ok. i m quite interested in freediving but i dont know how/ where/ when to start?
do u have to get certified and do a special course or is there a freediving organisation that is recognised world wide (eg; PADI in scuba)? what are the ways i could get involved in australia? any freediving centres?
any info would be greatly appreciated.
kenny :)

You don't need a certification just your basic equipment (wetsuit/skinsuit, fins, mask, snorkel) There is a very good course offered by performance freediving and they travel around offering courses, I'm not sure if they go to australia though. Check it out at www.performancefreediving.com. There is a couple books and videos you can check out aswell, look at the thread on them.

As Nikkey said you don't need to get certified, you can just do it. But I strongly advise you to get some certificatio, not for the card but for the knowledge.
Take a look into this site: http://www.aida-international.org/
They have some information about freediving and although I haven't seen any instructor in Australia there is a responsible for Oceania: http://www.aida-international.org/countries/cont_oceania.htm

kjpwong, just what do you intend to do? Are you looking to hit some serious free-diving depths or explore the shore zones skin-diving? Both have some technique and slight differences in gear.

Pete

kjpwong:
hi everyone,
i have always been a keen water sportsman involving in swimming, surf life saving, water polo, surfing and took up scuba diving not long ago. i consider myself fairly strong on and under water and able to hold my breath ok. i m quite interested in freediving but i dont know how/ where/ when to start?
do u have to get certified and do a special course or is there a freediving organisation that is recognised world wide (eg; PADI in scuba)? what are the ways i could get involved in australia? any freediving centres?
any info would be greatly appreciated.
kenny :)

hi all,
thanks for the replies. i have been through a couple of websites set up by spearfishermen and keen freedivers in australia but due to insurance problems, there arent many clubs or organisations around.
anyhow, i will keep looking and hope for the best.
cheers
kenny

additonally, you may want to look at redefineyourlimits.com this is Tanya Streeter's site. She is the record holder for deepest free dive at around 536 feet or so. She offers tips on breathing exercises and techniques for free diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom