Tips on Avoiding the Flu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsscuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Divers...Since this is flu season , I thought that I would share the following advice so that we all stay healthy and go diving as often as we can!!!!

How To Avoid The FLU

Eat right!

Make sure you get your daily dose of

fruits and veggies.

Take your vitamins and bump up your vitamin C.

Get plenty of exercise because

exercise helps build your immune system.

Walk for at least an hour a day,

go for a swim, or dive,

take the stairs instead of the elevator, etc.

Wash your hands often.

If you can't wash them,

keep a bottle of antibacterial stuff around.

Get lost of fresh air.

Open doors & windows whenever possible.

Try to eliminate as much stress

from your life as you can.

Get plenty of rest.

OR

Take the doctor's approach.

Think about it . . .

When you go for a shot,

what do they do first?

They clean your arm with alcohol . . .

Why?

Because Alcohol KILLS GERMS.

So . . .

I walk to the liquor store. (exercise)
I put lime in my Corona...(fruit)
Celery in my Bloody Mary (veggies)
Drink outdoors on the bar patio..(fresh air)
Tell jokes, laugh....(eliminate stress)
Then pass out. (rest)
The way I see it . . .

If you keep your alcohol levels up,

flu germs can't get you!

My grandmother always said,

"A shot in the glass

is better than one in the a--!!!

Live Well -- Laugh Often -- Love Much...Safe Diving...Cheers...Joe

Opportunities are never lost they are simply found by someone else !

Nice.

Seriously, though -don't depend on antibacterial soap or hand cleaner. The flu and common cold are viruses , so it won't help. One of the best things you can do is train yourself out of touching your face. We often pick up viruses on our hands from doorknobs, keyboards, etc -but they can't get through your skin. We get infected when we transport them to our mouth, nose, or eyes during normal (many times unconscious) hand-to-face contact.

I'm especially suceptable to colds 'cause I work in IT and often have to sit at other people's desks to work on their computers. ...And when's the best time to get on their machines? Yep. When they're out sick :yuck:

devolution365:
Nice.

Seriously, though -don't depend on antibacterial soap or hand cleaner. The flu and common cold are viruses , so it won't help. One of the best things you can do is train yourself out of touching your face. We often pick up viruses on our hands from doorknobs, keyboards, etc -but they can't get through your skin. We get infected when we transport them to our mouth, nose, or eyes during normal (many times unconscious) hand-to-face contact.

I'm especially suceptable to colds 'cause I work in IT and often have to sit at other people's desks to work on their computers. ...And when's the best time to get on their machines? Yep. When they're out sick :yuck:

Hi Erica...Thanks for the update and more accurate info about viruses and antibacterial cleaners. I tend to be a "little" obsessive/complusive, so the antibacterial cleaners help me at least feel better whether or not they work against viruses. Cheers and best wishes on your upcoming wedding cruise and first "real" dive Let us know how it turns out(wedding and dive!!!)..Joe

Well I just got over the flu about a week ago, so after reading this, I wish I´de had my beer night, before!!!! Useful to know though, so basically, when everyone starts getting the flu, head down to the local and stay there until, the flu has moved on! Ideal!

The three most important things to do to avoid getting the flu;

1. wash your hands
2. Wash your hands
3. Wash Your Hands!

Hmmm .......
1)Avoid sick people
2)Avoid Dr. office (see # 1)
3)Take vit C (Skittles has about 50% daily requirment)
4)Eat more Skittles (See # 3)
5)Avoid sick people

If you should get sick....
1)Be nice and share it with those rotten coworkers who exposed you in the first place.
2)Spend lots of time with peolple you don't like to make sure they share in your good fortune.
3)Eat more Skittles

I swear that most of this is ONLY MEANT IN FUN.

The local pub sure sounds better than staying in bed with the flu!!! At least you can share your misery with your friends over a pint!

While washing your hands well and often has already been mentioned as the number one way to avoid getting a cold (or flu), if you don't use new paper towels to dry your hands, you should use your own personal, no-one else in the sickhouse uses it towel to dry them :wink:

Along with being obsessive-compulsive about washing my hands, another thing that's helped me avoid getting whatever's going around at work (it's a firestation... we live more "closely" together than most families!) is to use whatever disinfectant spray (or just a freshly mixed bleach/water solution) and clean all the stuff people touch - counters, phones, doornobs/pushbars, telephones, light switches, computer keyboards/mice, portable radios, radio mikes and comm headsets, seatbelts, door latches and handles, window cranks (or buttons).

You get the picture.... The guys laugh at me, but I have the last laugh with less sick days. My last record was 3 years without a cold. By getting stressed out with life and work, thus careless about the above, I got the last one that went around, so now I have to start over :wink:

Back
Top Bottom