Advice on weights for Transpac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Recently purchased a Diverite transpac, with a rec wing. Can anyone suggest what they consider the best setup to use if I require weight. I have a weightbelt, an Aqualung, but its the type with the velcro flap pockets and its so dam bulky that it just gets in the way of transpac front closure. As for weight intergrated pouches, i'm not really a fan, and I think at the end of the day think that they are just got to get in the way. Can anyone suggest a good/cluter free way if I need to add weight. I was thinking that maybe a good out webbing style weight belt would do the trick due to it not being as bulky, or perhaps weights attached to the tank. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheer

Alex

I'm sure this is what they consider the best option with the TransPac. I'm not familiar with it myself, but I know a few people on here dive one. Hopefully you will get some more creative answers too. :D

I have an older version of the Transweight. It works pretty well, but the pockets are fairly large, so they take up a fair amount of real-estate on the waist strap. I've only had a max of 6lbs in each side (using a standard weight belt for the rest) but I've never had any unwanted dumping. The version that I have uses both the waist strap and the shoulder strap for mounting, and it seems fairly stable. I got them when I bought the TP off eBay, and I really only use them for adding more weight when I switch from wetsuit to drysuit (cause I'm too lazy to reconfigure my weight belt). So if you require a lot of lead, they're a good way to make your belt a little less cumbersome. But if not, if it was me, I would prefer an uncluttered waist belt with a standard weight belt (or maybe an XS Scuba version with the individual pockets). Just my opinion, YMMV, etc.

I actually purchased the newer DiveRite weight pockets a few months ago.

They seem to work pretty well and don't bother me at all. In fact, I don't even notice their presence while diving.

They are available in two sizes, 16 and 32 (8# per pocket or 16# per pocket). The smaller version is much less bulky than the larger one (I have the larger ones myself).

For me, they mount best on the technical buckles that join the belt with the shoulder straps. The positioning is great and using weight locks, they are rock solid.

Another interesting feature is that they can be used as general purpose pockets if at any moment you don't feel you need them to add weight (e.g. diving in tropics with SS BP and very thin wetsuit).

Anyway, good luck!

Alex

I also picked up the new transweight last year, but did not have a good time with them. I tried a couple mounting configurations, but every time, the weights were positioned too far back. It was impossible for me to float horizontal while wearing them, so I ditched them and threaded 4lbs directly into the waist webbing further forward. I use a standard weight belt to make up the difference.

To me, the new transweight system seems to be intrinsically flawed. I don't recommend it to anyone.

I use the previous generation Dive Rite weight pouches that use both the waist and shoulder strap webbing to secure them - I also don't understand why Dive Rite chose to "fix somethin' that ain't broke" in their redesign of these pouches by putting a funky angle on the parts the webbing straps slide through.

I have had one occasion (over a course of more than 100 dives using this system) where I unintentionally lost weight from one pouch, on a backroll boat entry - the velcro was not adequately fastened on the pouch that time. I think the backroll entry (inverting the weight) was what really did it in along with the velcro not being adequately tamped down that day. I couldn't submerge, so it's not the same as having this happen atdepth, which I DID have experience with on an early generation Seaquest weight pouch for the Predator BC.

I belive the Divers Supply Sea Elite pouches are like the earlier version pockets I and stackinggreasyBBs use. My wife has the same setup I do and has not lost any weights diving her TPII with the earlier generation weight pockets (again proving she's the brains of the family). However, I picked up a set of Deep Outdoors weight pockets on eBay I intend to try with my TPII on my next dive vacation. You might look into that system if you want an alternative. Mine haven't arrived yet so I can't comment on their functionality.

I used 2 different approaches for weight with my transpac. When I dove wet w/AL 80s I used 2 of the 4 lbs trim weights seen here. I connected them with quick links to the little rings along the back inside edge of the transpac. I then wore another 4 lbs in a weight belt so I had a small amount of ditchable weight.

When I switched to a dry suit I needed alot more weight (26 lbs total). I bought a DUI weight and trim 2 . It works great and I continue to use it now that I dive doubles.

If you can get away with the trim weights you wont even notice them in the water.

hex92:
I used 2 different approaches for weight with my transpac. When I dove wet w/AL 80s I used 2 of the 4 lbs trim weights seen here.
Whoa! How long have the 2 lb trim weights been out? I need to order a couple of those! And they have 1lb threadables too... yeehaw. Guess I'm redoing my weighting, again.

Thanks for the link, Hex!

Does anyone have any idea how the new Apex weight pockets are attached/whether they would work with Transpac? I am another Transweight 16 user looking for a better option.

I have 2005 versions, and deeply dislike them. I use only 2-4 lbs per pocket, and the weights slosh around so much that occasionally the whole inner pocket pops out and hangs from the velcro and the buckle outside the outer pouch. Feels like you lost the pocket for a moment.

How easy are those XS Scuba pockets to dump? Never seen them but in pics. You pull the velcro up and fish the weight out?

piikki:
Does anyone have any idea how the new Apex weight pockets are attached/whether they would work with Transpac? I am another Transweight 16 user looking for a better option.

I have 2005 versions, and deeply dislike them. I use only 2-4 lbs per pocket, and the weights slosh around so much that occasionally the whole inner pocket pops out and hangs from the velcro and the buckle outside the outer pouch. Feels like you lost the pocket for a moment.

How easy are those XS Scuba pockets to dump? Never seen them but in pics. You pull the velcro up and fish the weight out?

I use the XS Scuba Single Weight Pockets on my BP/Wing when I have the need for only a SMALL amount of weight to offset positive buoyancy. There is one mounted on each side of my harness belt, near my kidney area. There are also two more mounted on my top cam band, one on each side as close to the tank as possible. The cam mounts give me the feel and trim of using steel tanks when I'm using aluminum tanks.

Of course, I can't ditch the trim weights on the cam band, but I have developed one and two-step methods to dump the belt pocket weights:

1. When using soft weights, I can pull up the velcro, reach in and pinch the weights between my thumb and first two fingers, and then pull them straight up and out. This is a two-step release method.

2. When using plastic-coated lead weights, it's easier to pull up the velcro and then push the weight up and out from underneath the weight pocket with a couple of fingers, while holding the flap open with my thumb. This is also a two-step release method.

3. Another option I have when using plastic-coated lead weights is to thread a narrow piece of nylon webbing or nylon rope through one of the slots on the weight, and place the weight in the pocket horizontally with the webbing or rope hanging out and down the center of the velcro, just enough to grab with gloves on. The webbing or rope acts like a small pull tab. With a quick and smooth upward pull, I can dump the weights with one motion. This is a one-step release method, but it's just a little more complicated than the first two in the way I have to rig it.

I primarily use methods 1 and 2, depending on what type of weights I'm using. When using method 2, I still hang the pull tabs from the weights as a backup, or if I decide to use the tabs as a primary release method (method 3). That way I always have options. Also, I always practice dumping my weights wearing the gloves that I normally dive with. This gives me real-world feel and training for dumping weights.

I'm not recommending, or suggesting that these methods be used by anyone. I'm simply answering a question and explaining how I personally do it. Pocket weights without a quick release mechanism should be used for trim, or for other non-ditchable weight applications in diving, and our training does not include how to dump these types of weights. No single method is fail-safe. I do not teach or demonstrate this method, and again, I only use it when diving for recreation in instances where I may need a SMALL amount of weight to offset positive buoyancy.

I have used the Transweight 16 system before, and it worked very well for me. However, it is a bit large, takes up too much space on my belt, and I never need that much additional weight, regardless of what I'm wearing.

Back
Top Bottom