Reputable Lower Keys Dive Operations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi...We got bit by the diving bug on our first trip to Key West. We tried to snorkle the reef, but got sick fighting the chop. We thought "If only we could get down there..."

One Year later and we are on our way down again, with PADI certs (We just finished Nitrox), and will be staying in Key West. We will be there from 10/31 to 11/7. Anyone have any suggestions about reputable dive operations in the lower keys? We will be going up to Marathon, I believe, at least once.

We will only be needign tanks and weights.

Trinity and Satyr

Wreckreation Charters at Cudjoe Key Marina, behind the Sheriff's Substation at mile marker 21 oceanside. Rachel (the owner) is a board member. She runs trips (for six divers max) to Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary (much healthier corals and critters than in Key West), and the Adolfus Busch Wreck (a decent artificial reef loaded with fishes). Enjoy!

In Marathon, I have experience with two shops, one good and one not so good.

I had a 1:00pm trip booked with Middle Keys Scuba, nice price and a nice looking six-pack boat. I arrived at 12:30 to find the trip scrubbed because a few divers cancelled. Maybe that's an exception or just part of the business but I didn't have time to catch a trip elsewhere and was annoyed to miss a day of diving. When I travel 1500 miles for a precious few days, I wouldn't risk losing one by booking with them again.

I dove several times with Abyss Dive behind the Holiday Inn. Also a six-pack boat. I forget the names, but the lady working the shop was super friendly, remembered my name from a previous phone call, and even gave me a reminder call in the morning 20 minutes before departure when I was running late. Offered to hold the boat but I made it in time. Captain Bob (?) was a good captain and they took the boat out the second day with only 2 people. They probably lost money but honored a commitment and gained at least one loyal customer.

In the semi-lower Keys around Big Pine, I've dove with Strike Zone and Underseas. Both were larger "cattle" boats but cheap and adequate. I would use them again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom