First Attempt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drgnfiend

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I got a chance this past weekend to test out my new ikelite housing for my Fuji F10 at our local quarry. Just to be on the safe side the first dive of the day I just threw a soft weight in the housing to ensure that there were no leaks, and then on the 2nd dive I started to take some shots. I actually got some half decent shots in my opinion considering it was my first attempt at this and my camera wasn't really intended for this purpose. I'll just share some of the shots I really like here, but if you want to see the rest you can see them at:
Millbrook Quarry Pics
Jon Cheesing it up (he does that a lot)
2005_1008MillbrookDiving0013.JPG

Mike w/Statue
2005_1008MillbrookDiving0021.JPG

Jon, really clear pic for once
2005_1008MillbrookDiving0023.JPG

Mike on the platform
2005_1008MillbrookDiving0029.JPG

Hopefully with time I'll get used to this and the pic quality will increase.

Thanks for looking.

These pictures help since I'm about to purchase a point and shoot for a trip to Cozumel later this month. I have been leaning towards the Canon SD500 until I read a review of the Fuji F10. Does the F10 have an underwater mode or ability to manually set the white balance. Not that I know what white balance is, but everyone mentions its importance. Posters also speak of manual settings and their necessity. While that is nice and makes sense, we aren't likely to spend our dive worrying about settings, etc. We really do just want a p&s, but one that will get the best pics underwater with automatic settings. We want something that is very small in the housing. So what do you think of this of the F10? Is it more or less than you expected underwater. Can you tell me how big the housing is? Thanks

Nice! Especially for a first-run. Hope mine turn out as well (different camera, though).

Were you using a strobe?

2JAX:
These pictures help since I'm about to purchase a point and shoot for a trip to Cozumel later this month. I have been leaning towards the Canon SD500 until I read a review of the Fuji F10. Does the F10 have an underwater mode or ability to manually set the white balance. Not that I know what white balance is, but everyone mentions its importance. Posters also speak of manual settings and their necessity. While that is nice and makes sense, we aren't likely to spend our dive worrying about settings, etc. We really do just want a p&s, but one that will get the best pics underwater with automatic settings. We want something that is very small in the housing. So what do you think of this of the F10? Is it more or less than you expected underwater. Can you tell me how big the housing is? Thanks

White balance is very important to get good color out of your pics. Taking pics in RAW mode allows you to do all WB setting after the dive though (on a computer) so you don't have to worry about it while underwater. I dunno if the F10 has RAW or not. Also you probably will eventually want manual settings (for shutter speed/aperture) on an UW camera. "Auto" mode doesn't always do what you want underwater.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was in a training class all last week with absolutely no internet connection and by the time I got home from training the last thing I wanted to do was look at my computer.

To my knowledge the F10 doesn't have an underwater setting, in fact I'd bet against it, and I'm unsure if you can manually set the white balance or not. I do know it has a manual as opposed to Auto setting so I'll probably play with that next time I go.

As for a strobe, I wasn't using one. Since most of the strobe units are rather pricey I didn't go that route yet. I'm just doing this for fun really haven't gotten into Underwater Photography yet so decided not to drop a bunch of money just yet.

The housing itself isnot extremely large but it is substantially bigger than the camera itself so you have to figure out a good way to keep it on your person underwater. Personally I had it hooked to two D rings on my BC and it sat right on my chest (basically same height you would see most cameras hanging from a neck strap). You can check out the housing at the ikelite site for a good size comparison vs the camera.

I was quite happy with the end result of the pictures honestly, it was better than I expected in some cases.

Lessons learned:
Load up the camera in a dry environment, if there's any moisture in it, it's gonna fog
Paying close attention to your bouyancy is important.

Having the camera with me and taking the pictures gave me something else to think about so honestly I this quarry dive much more than my previous ones.

Drgnfiend:
Lessons learned:
Load up the camera in a dry environment, if there's any moisture in it, it's gonna fog
Paying close attention to your bouyancy is important.

Having the camera with me and taking the pictures gave me something else to think about so honestly I this quarry dive much more than my previous ones.

One thing that I think is important is to keep the camera/housing from heating up in the sun or a warm place before diving. The sudden change in temperature can cause condensation inside the housing - this will be more apparent the greater the temperature differential between the housing and the water.

And for point #2 about the buoyancy, that is right on the money. I feel that is probably the most important thing about shooting pictures underwater.

Looking great!!

For those looking for a new camera, this looks like a good true point and shoot with very limited controls. Perfect for those who only want to snap and for those who are willing to really slow down, learn exactly what this camera is capable of and stay within those limits (actually this last applies to all camera systems!).

Unfortunately the water isn't a very forgiving environment for colours and exposures - getting a camera with manual control of your aperture, shutter, ISO and white balance is going to help you create more pleasing shots in a wider range of situations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom