Nov 4-5 Ocala Dives, Canoe/Kayaking, Camping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
To celebrate the END of summery (it's about time!) we're taking the bikes & paddles to Juniper Springs November 5th! Who wants to go?

In my experience, there are so many things to do there that we can accomodate all interests yet join together for evening fun around the campfire, cooking a big batch of stone soup (everybody bring an ingredient... no pre-plan permitted), s'mores, and whatever entertainment we can put together - even if it's just swapping stories.

I don't remember the diving opportunities in the area, so anybody who wants to put the dive-activity together go for it! We'll be biking and canoeing the Springs.

Get together to save $$ on campsites. Make your camp reservations now & rent canoes there. Here's info about the campsite - you can make your reservations online. We're in site #7 (close to the showers but not TOO close!). The sites are clean and overall very nice.

http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/nrrs/fl/jusp/newindex.html

There are LOTS of sources of info on the Juniper Springs canoe/kayak trip... rent a canoe there and they'll even haul us back after a day of paddling through some of the most beautiful north-Florida terrain I've experienced. Below are just a few of the better descriptions of the trip:

http://www.clubkayak.com/cfkt/trips/trip28p.html
http://icflorida.wftv.com/recreation/guides/canoeing/canoe2.html
http://floridatraveler.com/travel_articles/juniper-springs.htm

We'll arrive Friday afternoon and leave sometime on Sunday. We haven't decided yet to bike first and they canoe, or vice-versa... that depends on what the group wants to do. We'll probably go watch the divers as well!

Let me know if you need more info - 954-649-0666.

Juniper Springs, you say?!! I have fond memories of the place. Probably the closest diving would be The Great Sand Pit, aka Alexander Springs, a decent OW dive spot. Also within reasonable driving distance is Paradise Springs, a nice cavern dive. A little further away are 40 Fathom Grotto, Devil's Den, & Blue Grotto.

If there is enough interest, I would be quite happy to assume command of the dive planning sector of this mission.

Very cool. Yes, Juniper Springs is a very peaceful, almost spiritual journey. Some friends are joining us but no more divers yet. I think there are campgrounds closer to those dive sites, and if there's interest divers may wish to stay there. We can drive over (or vice versa) for the evening festivities.
scubafool:
Juniper Springs, you say?!! I have fond memories of the place. Probably the closest diving would be The Great Sand Pit, aka Alexander Springs, a decent OW dive spot. Also within reasonable driving distance is Paradise Springs, a nice cavern dive. A little further away are 40 Fathom Grotto, Devil's Den, & Blue Grotto.

If there is enough interest, I would be quite happy to assume command of the dive planning sector of this mission.

scubafool:

Ah yes there Commander !
Let us know whence and where you wish to do the diving portion...
Inquiring minds want to know.

Jeano Beano

Anybody diving? If we know where you are we could bike on by and even spend some time in the water with you. Just post where & when!

If anybody wants to stay in our campground, see the orignal post below for the location and links.

If there are enough of us we'll plan stone soup one night.

I have one or two contacts that have expressed interest in diving Paradise Springs. I will check with them & post back.

scubafool:
Positive responses for around the noon hour at Paradise. Waddaya say, Beano?
If that's Saturday, I'll try to make our canoe trip Sunday and bike the springs with my non-diver friends & family.

Anybody camping, biking or canoeing with us?

"Take Interstate 75 to State Road 40(old exit 69) and head east 3 miles to Pine Avenue (Hwy 301-441-27). Turn (right) follow about eight miles to where the road begins to split. Take the first available U-turn after the road comes back together. Now you will be heading north on 301-441-27. As the roadway divides again, you will see a mail box with a dive flag next to a dirt road. Follow the dirt road about a half mile (cross the railroad tracks) to Paradise Springs."

Coming from Alexander Springs, follow 445 to to 19, turn left, follow 19 to Altoona and take a right on 42 at the flashing light. Follow 42 all the way to to 441/27 and turn right. Follow 441 thru Belleview, and just as the road splits, turn right at the mailbox with the dive sign. Turn right at the T just over the railroad tracks, and follow this down till the road takes a sharp right, Paradise Springs is right there. Cost is $30, and airfills are available.

Be aware, this is a cavern dive. Cavern certification isn't required by the owner to dive, however. Bring at least two lights.

Eandiver, you can take 484 from 75 over to Belleview, but I am not sure whether you would need to turn left or right on 441.

Saturday is the day that I am shooting for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom