OMS IQ Pack or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zero

Contributor
Reaction score
The very far side of the Milky Way - Aurora, Ontar
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,

Well, I've finally saved enough cash to invest in a BP/W setup. I've seen the OMS IQ Pack and was wondering if this is a good investment. Currently, my dives will be with a single tank in both tropical with a 3 mm and in cold water with a dry suit. I would welcome feedback from divers who use this configuration and other BP/W setups.

Thanks in advance!

Zero:
Greetings,

Well, I've finally saved enough cash to invest in a BP/W setup. I've seen the OMS IQ Pack and was wondering if this is a good investment. Currently, my dives will be with a single tank in both tropical with a 3 mm and in cold water with a dry suit. I would welcome feedback from divers who use this configuration and other BP/W setups.

Thanks in advance!
OMS makes good gear. Some of the BP/W users on Scubaboard are not big OMS fans (even though many have never used the stuff). Most BP/W users on ScubaBoard are continuous webbing fans who will tell you that you do not need a "padded" or "adjustable" harness. Try them both. I did and I appreciated (and ultimately preferred) the ability to quickly adjust the harness and the padding offered by something like the IQ pack, Dive-Rite Trans-Pack or the Deep Outdoors Matrix (I went with the Matrix). If you do go with an IQ pack or similar, just be sure to get a STA (single tank adapter) to use with the backplate. Otherwise these systems are pretty much no better than a back inflator BC, as the plate just slides into a sleeve and doesn’t connect to the tank or harness in any meaningful way. I’d also skip the integrated weight pockets that many manufactures offer and just use a weight belt or some XS Scuba weight pockets.

I dive in everything from a 7mm wetsuit to a rash guard and board shorts and I like the ability to easily adjust the fit for different exposure suits. I also like to let folks try my setup out, and the quick adjustability comes in handy there, too.

The main advantages to the continuous webbing harness are no failure points (plastic quick releases or ladder locks) and a much lower cost than the adjustable harnesses. I just couldn’t get the fit or comfort as dialed in as I could with an adjustable harness. In the end, I don’t think you can go wrong with either setup.

Good Luck!

xiSkiGuy:
OMS makes good gear. Some of the BP/W users on Scubaboard are not big OMS fans (even though many have never used the stuff).

Was that a preemptive strike, Jeff? :D

I like my OMS just fine. I use it for all of the dives you have detailed. I took the bungies off of the wings and like it better that way

I use it with a FredT back plate and an OMS STA

TwoBit

I use a DSS single tank rig with Hogarthian harness and couldn't be happier. I tried an adjustable harness, but like the hogarthian much better. IMHO, it is easier to don/doff, is equally as easy to adjust if needed, and is just as comfortable. When I first started looking into a bp/w, I thought that adjustable with quick connects would be perfect, but once you get it adjusted, you really don't need adjustability all that often. The buckles are difficult to connect when trying to don the gear, and take up room for D-rings and other stuff. With the Hogarthian harness, you just slip it on or slip it off, it is that easy. It is also easily adjusted it you go from say a 3mm to a 7mm wetsuit. Most of the hogarthian harnesses are about the same. Most backplates are similar. You will find differences in wings depending on their intended purpose. If diving single tank with a 3mm for warm and a drysuit for cold water, the DSS single tank rig would work great. Tobin has some features on his stuff that you won't find on any others, and his customer service is unbeatable.

www.deapseasupply.com

A long time ago I too almost fell for the IQ Pack. I'm so glad that I didn't. Since then, I have had to cut at least two of these things off my buddies' rigs and helped them web a one piece hog harness. I don't mean to disparage anyone's favorite piece of gear, but you asked...so here goes...

IMHO, it is a confused, tangled contraption. What additional ease in adjusting it offers, I believe, is totally overshadowed by the mess it makes. Buckles and clips everywhere...straps taking off in this direction and that. Just take a look at the online OMS harness setup guide...4 pages. Geeze! No thanks.

I agree that it makes transitioning between different exposure suits easier and that it is much quicker to adjust a proper fit when swapped back and forth between different people. It is also easier to take off...just hit one of the quick releases. But it is not any easier to put on...in fact, I would say just the opposite is true.

I personally don't think these advantages are worth putting up with the mess it creates. Plus, one could make a strong argument that different exposure suits require different plates. So, once you have your Al plate plate and hog harness setup for your 3mil shorty and your heavy SS plate rigged for your drysuit, no further adjusting is necessary.

Dirt makes a good point, too. Tobin's plate is relatively painless to re-size...mostly because his plate inserts allow for sliding the webbing as opposed to having to futz around with the more traditional keepers. Mind you, it's not nearly as easy as tightening up or loosening the IQ pack, but as far as switching back and forth between YOUR personal exposure suits is concerned, as long as you mark the webbing it goes pretty easy. Besides, you may always dive in the same outfit, in which case this point becomes moot.

Some guys will hit you on additional failure points created by the IQ packs plastic buckles. While I doubt that this is a serious danger for recreational OW diving, there might be a time when it will ruin your day. They simply aren't needed.

BTW, I think OMS has some very nice stuff. I think their single wing is great! This just wasn't one of their better solutions.

Besides, OMS as a company is just plain silly, IMHOAE. I can't think of a company that is more frustrating to deal with. Sorry. With so many fantastic choices out there, there's no way I could recommend them to anyone.

If you also consider the resale value, I don't recommend it. I am not talking about the quality, but the market preference.

Stephen Ash:
A long time ago I too almost fell for the IQ Pack.

I'm brand new to this board, but one thing that I have noticed is that there are a couple of Hogarthian snobs out there (don't take it personaly). Anyhow, I currently dive an IQ pack w/ the 95# bladder, and here are some observations I have on them.

I currently live in Hawaii, but I bought my OMS in Charleston, SC with hopes of Tech diving. If you are looking for something just to do a couple of weekend shore dives, save the money and buy your significant other a present with the leftover cash... The IQ pack is a little too much BC. I have used it wearing a shorty in the Bahamas, a dry suit in Florida springs and at 200 FSW in the PI all these times diving my OMS with both singles and doubles, but it really performs with the doubles. As far as the wings, go with the smallest needed (kinda makes sense). While I do like the IQ pack, I did get a jacket BC for those times I don't feel like lugging it around.

If you do buy the IQ pack, get a couple of bicycle tire tubes for the straps. They are excessively long (made me feel thin when they were dangling).

Drop me a line if you have any questions.

Stephen Ash:
Was that a preemptive strike, Jeff? :D
Well, I figured you would be chiming in with a well phrased and thought out argument to the contrary. So yes, preemptive strike! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom