Language in posts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

partridge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi guys. I have a diver with me this weekend who found me via scubaboard. When talking about the board and this forum in particular he told me something that has been gnawing at me. He really doesnt like it when he is reading a thread and all of a sudden people start posting in tagalog. He says it is like talking in a group of 3 and then the other two just switch to another language and start snickering.

This is an international board and one of our jobs is to promote the Philippines as a diving destination.

On the other hand this is a forum where we are supposed to get together and maybe that is easier in our native tongue.

No idea.....Just wanted to let you guys know some feedback I got. Any thoughts?

this is going to be a looooong discussion best done over beer... but your point is valid...

at least we're sure that postings in filipino are not against those that can't understand... use of the vernacular is mostly used on a more personal level and when making jokes or humorous comments that would be totally lost in the translation

although i ditto your remark: no suggestions here either... there are really some things better said in our native tongue and personally i wouldn't want to curtail that...

hope you and your diver have a great weekend though!

Jag

I think this would be an issue in any forum. The polite thing to do is to make others aware that you don't speak Filipino and would like to join/continue the conversation in English. If they refuse to do so, I would personally leave the thread, it's not worth the stress sometimes. What they're talking about probably doesn't concern you or if they're too rude to explain what they're talking about, you wouldn't want to be talking to them anway.

Allow me to offer my suggestion: This is an international board.. and while, yes, it would be nice to be able to read everything going on, 1) I've never been 'bothered' by it, and 2) Who says it should have to all be in english?

Being that this is the Phillipine divers section, if you guys want to talk about it in your language, you can..it's your forum, that's what it is here for. I would probably not like it if you posted a question in 'basic scuba discussions' in tagalog.

Yes, probably everyone on this board speaks, or at least understands english. Some very little, and if there is an area for their country/region etc., I say feel free to discuss what you want, in what language is easiest for you. I would suggest that if it is an important diving issue, it should be in a language that most can understand.

Hi Partridge. I feel a great discussion brewing...

I agree with Gecko3s. He brought up some nice points. (Welcome to the PPD, gecko3s!!!)

You are definitely correct when saying we have an obligation to promote the Philippines on SB. Being a "back in the country" pinoy, I can understand the frustrations of not understanding tagalog.

To all those: we don't mean to be rude, and we're sorry if it rubs off as that. It's just a form of comraderie. And please let us know if you'd like us to translate. Jag does it pretty well (but only if PaoloV, our Jedi Master approves)! :)

And Iris gives tagalog lessons. For free. :)

FYI: Thai, Malaysian and French also do it sometimes, but not as frequent as us.

gecko3s:
Allow me to offer my suggestion: This is
Being that this is the Phillipine divers section, if you guys want to talk about it in your language, you can..it's your forum, that's what it is here for. I would probably not like it if you posted a question in 'basic scuba discussions' in tagalog.

Yes, probably everyone on this board speaks, or at least understands english. Some very little, and if there is an area for their country/region etc., I say feel free to discuss what you want, in what language is easiest for you. I would suggest that if it is an important diving issue, it should be in a language that most can understand.

i agree with gecko one these points...very seldom do we use tagalog when we post of diving issues. it's usually jokes that are in tagalog...it's also my guideline for this board

btw, try checking out the europe threads hehehehehe

jonix:
btw, try checking out the europe threads hehehehehe
Guilty as charged. :)

I occasionally use Dutch in posts when I know that the recipient is or speaks Dutch. Usually, I'll put the title in English so other members know the subject being discussed.

Laurens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom