My experience with Ocean Divers, Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karateman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My G/F and I just returned from Key Largos, Florida on a dive to the Speigel Grove wreck and the French Reef with "Ocean Divers" resort. It was awesome and I would highly recommend going with Ocean Divers anytime.

Water was 82 F in 93 feet of water. Sure beats diving in Ontario, Canada where I live!

I whole heartedly agree with Ocean Divers are a classy bunch. Very friendly, knowledgeble, and terrific accomidations.

I would like to see them change their charter policies though. They have a set schedule that caters to the masses of once a year vaca divers and will not change that schedule for the more experienced divers who would prefer back to back deep dives on the world class ship wrecks in the region. I tried to book some double wreck dives w/ them and was turned down. Granted I had only 4 divers ready to go for the whole week and they probably would have made an exception if I had 12+ divers to fill their boat.

My preference would be to use Ocean divers for my upcoming vaca instead of their competition. They have the best boats on the keys for diving, in rough seas, terrific captains, and already go to the Speigal and the other great wrecks in the area, they just won't do back to back Speigal or other wrecks which would be nicer than a wreck followed by a reef dive that all looks the same after day 2 on vaca.
Sid

mtsidford:
I would like to see them change their charter policies though. They have a set schedule that caters to the masses of once a year vaca divers and will not change that schedule for the more experienced divers who would prefer back to back deep dives on the world class ship wrecks in the region. I tried to book some double wreck dives w/ them and was turned down. Granted I had only 4 divers ready to go for the whole week and they probably would have made an exception if I had 12+ divers to fill their boat.

Its pure economics... They are a cattle boat - 35 divers (I think..)... Vaca Divers are their bread & butter. I dove w/ them a little over a month ago - had a blast. Certainly didn't feel like a cattle boat, good crew, safe op.

For customized service, you'd need to charter a whole boat, or go w/ a smaller (6-pack) operator.

Edit/Added: There are no-trust me dives... You should always dive to the level of the least experienced diver...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom