Just thinking about starting in UW photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CheddarChick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to hear from other photographers about what they started out with for gear. I really like the aspects of digital, but not sure what to buy.

This is a very common question and in the end it always boils down to two issues:

1. How much do you like photography?
2. What is your budget?

In the end it often depends on your budget. It can range from over US$10,000 - US$600. Once you have a budget it is easier to work through all the options out there.

Get a point and shoot digital that can be put in a housing from the same manufacturer. Keep it simple and small... at first anyway.

Start taking pictures. If you like it you can move up to something bigger and better... or not. So far I choose not to move up because for my purpose bigger is not better.

For good quality pictures, I believe its safe to say that underwater photography isnt cheap. I started with a middle of the road setup (canon a95 + wdc50 housing), and it ran me about $600 after purchasing everything I needed (rechargeable batteries, extra memory, cases, etc).

I started with Reef Master model DC310. I love it. Was looking at Nikonos set up but remembered I wanted to enjoy the dive too. The DC310 is easy to use with out having to occupy much of your attention to complicated features which takes the fun out of your dive. It takes great digital pictures. Hope this helps.

I was looking at the DC500. Was yours easy to use? Because I haven't been certified that long I want one that is very simple. Do you have any pictures posted?

Some things to consider.
To take good underwater pictures sooner or later you are going to want 2 features, the ability to do full manual control and an external strobe. Auto modes really don't work that well under water and internal flashes are only good for maybe 1 to 2 ft at best. Even at 2 ft, back scatter from internal strobes becomes a problem.
The best advice I can give you is to put UW photography off for a while, spend a year or so getting your diving skills to the level that they really need to be to do UW photography. While working on your skills you can be saving up for a camera and doing the research to find a camera that meets you long term needs.

What i started with or what you should start with?

I started with a Nik V and used it 3 times a day 5 days a week for 5 years....processed my own film every night. But i had that luxury as i was working on a liveaboard.

You on the other hand should get a nice compact digital with what Herman says...the ability to do full manual. That is going to be a key feature.
I teach many students and the first thing i do is get them off the auto stuff and into manual, or at least as much manual as their camera can do.
Not only does this help you take better photos but it will also let you understand why you are taking better photos. Why changing the fstop in one situation does one thing and why changing the shutter does something else.
A great thing would be to buy some books to help you along, there are some great books on some lists here on the board, try a search on photography books. Other things would be to ask around your area to see if there is a good photography teacher for UW or otherwise. Learning photo in general will always help you UW.
THere are a great batch of Canons and SOny's out there. I personally think the Oly's have too much of a shutter lag on macro compared to others but are good in normal use.

I totally agree with the previous advice especially Mike's.

Get yourself a point and shoot camera with same brand housing like a Canon. It is a must to be able to use manual settings such as F stops, shutter speeds and manual white balance underwater to achieve the best results. This should be coupled with a software editing program such as Photoshop Elements or the like.

Learn the camera inside and out by practicing with it on land BEFORE going on a dive trip. It will take some time to learn the "sweet spots" on the camera for F stops and shutter speeds. You don't need the added task loading of an external strobe and add-on lenses in the beginning.

Macro shots with the internal strobe and regular shots using manual white balance calibrated underwater will yield you great results for starters.

I know that for the consumate photographers manual settings are the only way to go... however... I have been perfectly happy with the images I have been able to record just using the Pentax Optio S50 on *marine* setting (little clown fish icon.)

Not having to fiddle with anything has its rewards.

Of course all my picture taking has been here in the cold dark PNW waters... I suppose it might not fare so well in clear warm water. I'll bring it over to Maui and give it a try there.

Back
Top Bottom