silly question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

livefish

Reaction score
this might be a silly question, but i am new to all this. what is freediving??? :06:

Thats where PADI don't charge your credit card to dive...........

It's kinda like naked diving, but with your clothes on (usually).
(Sorry, that was in reference to another thread that went haywire)

I consider freediving the same as skindiving, where you hold your breath and dive down to a depth. Any depth. But I look at snorkeling as just that. Snorkeling around on top of the water, and never diving down.

livefish:
this might be a silly question, but i am new to all this. what is freediving??? :06:

In my eyes I break it down a little more even though they are essentially the same.

Snorkeling, Primarilly surface swimming, may pike down a little but no weights or other gear. Swimsuit, dive skin or light wetsuit. Mask, fins, snorkel.

Skin-diving, Snorkeling with whatever exposure protection is appropriate and weighs to make the diver able to hit neutal 10-15 feet down, other wise comfortably buoyant at the surface. More focus on diving down and bottom swimming. May add spear fishing and other collecting.

Free Diving, More emphasis on depths and greatest duration. More attention to being hydrodynamic. May include ascent and or descent assistance. Can be most competitive.

Obviously there can be shades of the sport between each definition. They are the same and different and if you want interchangable.

Pete

You are welcome to make such artificial divisions, but they don't really exist. There are folks with various levels of training, experience and skills in the sport. That's the difference, not different types of diving, but different levels of knowledge and skill.

When Cubans take their rebreather, gavin scooters, and a few stage bottles, and swim to Florida becoming Free! Sid

And to further confound the difficulty with definitions, Skin Diver magazine (until its demise) was for both snorkeling and scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom