Keys water temp in late Dec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markfm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What's the water temp late in the year? It looks like a nice little trip there, wrecks and reefs, at year end.
Thanks!

Awesome, thanks -- sounds like just a 5mm core warmer, maybe over a skin.

It's not the water that will freeze you but the wind after you get out. Make sure to bring a towel and a nice wind breaker for the SI. Heck, I dive dry in Florida when it's that cold.

I agree with low 70's and the comments about the wind. I dive a 5/3 in the winter and always have a fleece-lined windbreaker to wear between dives. Also, realize that fronts coming through in the winter can get you "blown out" in the Keys that time of year.

I disagree with the low 70's... I would say more like the mid to upper 70's... I still wear a 7mm suit... I know a few who go dry.

howarde:
I disagree with the low 70's... I would say more like the mid to upper 70's... I still wear a 7mm suit... I know a few who go dry.
Above 70, I go in a T-shirt and shorts.....I put on a 3mm til it gets to 50 and then go to the 7mm....I'd say thats the biggest difference between Northern and Southern Divers
C-Dawg

Vtdiver2:
Above 70, I go in a T-shirt and shorts.....I put on a 3mm til it gets to 50 and then go to the 7mm....I'd say thats the biggest difference between Northern and Southern Divers
C-Dawg

Pssh!

Mid 70s to mid 50s puts me into a 3mm and a hoodvest. I've yet to find colder water, being born and bread in the South. Some of us deal with the colder temps better than others :D

Drysuits? HA!

How about we settle for mid 70's? LOL. It varies a little but things don't really start to cool off in a big way until after December. I remember being in Key Largo a few yrs ago in January and it was cold as H3ll. A big winter storm rolled through. Air temps in the teens with the heavy winds. Horrible time!

I just said the temp was in the 70's and for us floridians... that's a little chilly... You'd have to give me a heated suit to go into 60 degree water. I think you cold water divers are a little loco...

Actually on yesterday's dive... I felt a little chilled with my 3mm suit (water temp was 82)... I was on the boat talking with a friend saying, "It's getting a little chilly..." He said, "yes, it's almost that time of year. I'll be getting my dry suit out soon"

Some can call that whimpy... Personally, if I am spending an hour or more, I would rather be comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom