Mission accomplished

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
Finally almost 2 years later and 4 attempts later the elusive M.J Wilcox is in the logbook.
I am glad I didn’t throw in the towel like I said I was.
She sank in 1906 and She was found in the early 1990’s. I have wanted to get a ganders at her for almost 2 years, but due to visibility and stormy conditions we were made to wait;
But Monday (Canada day..Oh Canada) we were not to be denied. My dive buddy and I headed out once again onto Colchester shoals on the unforgiving lake Erie. With in minutes we were over her I could tell by looking at the bottom finder. My heart felt the excitement. I looked off the back of the boat and seen the prop. This was a good sign that we would have visibility unlike the past. Few minutes later we roll off the side of the boat and down the line we go. Air temperature is 95, water Surface temperature is a wonderful 79 degrees and the thermocline also doesen't dissapoint as it is a comfy 68 degrees. Visibility was 4-5 feet (for this wreck this is good but I have heard that it can be better). We get to the bottom and it took no more then 5-6 fin strokes and I finally laid eyes upon her. Over all she was much bigger then I imagined her to be with enough to see to keep me interested for 45 minutes and more. Very hard wreck to navigate with out a guide, which we did not have. Because she is split open and is very wide she is hard to navigate, add poor visibility and u get confused of what is the front and what is the back and if you follow the huge mast to the end you will be a little ways off of her. Over all I would not rave about this wreck because of the usual visibility problems; but knowing I didn’t give up on this wreck was a good feeling to say I finally saw her.

Isn't it nice to "finally" get to do something you keep planning to do, but it never seems to happen.

Thanks for the live report, what a way to celebrate Canada Day!

It's always nice to hit one of those milestones!

BTW.... Happy Canada Day, Ya'll !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom