where to buy prescription dive mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CLA

Reaction score
Hi

Would anyone know where to buy or order prescription lenses for dive masks? The lenses for my mask correct for near-sightedness but I also need correction for astigmatism. In the equipment forum, they recommended companies like "aquatic optics" or "prescription dive mask" which can make lenses for more complicated prescriptions or cement the lenses to your mask. Is there a company in the Philippines that does the same? Or a shop which can order prescription lenses for masks?

thanks in advance

i know there is one in Robinsons Galeria, i just forgot the name. also i just came form an optical here in makati and they said they have first to see the mask before they accept the job at Rita optical (if my memory serves me right, they grind it there on the shop)

I think they could handle masks with small glasses.

CLA:
Hi

Would anyone know where to buy or order prescription lenses for dive masks? The lenses for my mask correct for near-sightedness but I also need correction for astigmatism. In the equipment forum, they recommended companies like "aquatic optics" or "prescription dive mask" which can make lenses for more complicated prescriptions or cement the lenses to your mask. Is there a company in the Philippines that does the same? Or a shop which can order prescription lenses for masks?

thanks in advance

Just inquire from a dive shop as they usually have this. I bought mine (TUSA lenses along with TUSA mask) from Scuba World Makati.

I am near sighted with astigmatism and my grade is 800 (-8 lenses). I'm not sure if the lenses I bought is for astigmatism but I don't seem to be having problems when I dive.

Allen

There are companies like http://www.seavisionusa.com where you can fax your prescription to them and pick out the mask that you would like online. These lenses would actually be ground into the lens with no bonding needed. Then you can have the mask airmailed to you.

Most "pop in lens" stock diopters do not have axis adjustment for astigmatism. As you grow older you will also need bifocals for looking at your gauges and camera settings.

I can't imagine that in Manila there is not an optical shop that will make the lens and bond it to any mask plate. You would have to shop around to find which would meet your needs and be most economical.

a couple of guys had their lenses made here;

DIVERS POINT (generally patronized my SB members) look for Ellen

and

NAUTILUS - look for Carol

want more details on these two shops, just holler and am sure you will get more than sufficient response from the guys here in the board

I know this is an old thread but...

I own a scubapro microframe single-lens mask and I am near sighted. I don't wear contacts when diving (which makes the experience less enjoyable). But since my head always aches after the second dive, I figured I should buy an RX mask or wear contacts.

I've read another thread about contacts vs prescription lenses and most SB members use contacts. But a doctor-friend of mine told me that if I wear contacts and my mask gets flooded, i could risk getting an infection. I'm not really concerned about losing my contacts underwater. I"m more concerned about getting my eyes infected.

A friend told me to just have the LDS replace the lenses on my mask with prescription lenses. So I went to scubaworld makati, but they told me they couldn't do anything with my mask as it was single-lens. They could only replace the lenses of double-lens masks. They suggested that I buy TUSA because they have all the lenses available for that brand.

If you were in my place, what would you do:
(a) sell my mask and buy a new one with prescription lenses
(b) buy disposable contact lenses

Thanks in advance for your replies!!

yomar:
If you were in my place, what would you do:
(a) sell my mask and buy a new one with prescription lenses
(b) buy disposable contact lenses

Thanks in advance for your replies!!

keep the mask and get a new one. i'd also go to other LDS for their reco.

My boyfriend needs a prescription mask however I'm worried about ordering one without him trying it on first. Is it better to buy a mask and have it customised or just take a chance and order one over the Internet and if it doesn't fit send it back?

Back
Top Bottom