gym weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

10tigers

Reaction score
stupid question. but can I use them for scuba?
I got tons of old 5 and 2.5 weights lying around my garage.
They're already rusty and I don;t give a crap if I lose them.

I'm sure there is some brilliant and rational explaination why I shouldn;t use them but I haven't figured it out yet.

10tigers:
stupid question. but can I use them for scuba?
I got tons of old 5 and 2.5 weights lying around my garage.
They're already rusty and I don;t give a crap if I lose them.

I'm sure there is some brilliant and rational explaination why I shouldn;t use them but I haven't figured it out yet.

Well you'll probably end up with rust stains on all your gear after a few dives and the volume may be inconvenient if you dive with thick neoprene (7mm) as iron only has 2/3 the density of lead (roughly).

Have you thought of a good way to strap 5lb dumbbells to yourself?

On top of that, they're not lead and they will (and have already started to) become balls of rust that will make your hands and gear orange every time you touch them.

If you can put them on some sort of releasable device (i.e., a belt or a pouch), there is no reason they won't work. They'll likely rust quickly & coat your gear with iron oxide, so it might be worth buying $10 of sprayable plastic coating before you use them.

miketsp:
Well you'll probably end up with rust stains on all your gear after a few dives and the volume may be inconvenient if you dive with thick neoprene (7mm) as iron only has 2/3 the density of lead (roughly).

dude
math on a friday afternoon?
I'm lost

The specific gravity of lead makes it better for diving weight. For a given amount of lead it's heavy relative to other substances such as iron or concrete (or sand) often used in gym weights. Also iron in salt water will become messy with rust and such.

--Matt

Blackfish:
If you can put them on some sort of releasable device (i.e., a belt or a pouch), there is no reason they won't work. They'll likely rust quickly & coat your gear with iron oxide, so it might be worth buying $10 of sprayable plastic coating before you use them.

Just bought an intigrated system.
I figure , I'd toss them in a stuff sack and be done with it.

matt_unique:
The specific gravity of lead makes it better for diving weight. For a given amount of lead it's heavy relative to other substances such as iron or concrete (or sand) often used in gym weights. Also iron in salt water will become messy with rust and such.

--Matt

you're right. Wet rust is no fun.
how about lead balls from a fishing store?
Just just dropped a wad of cash on gear and I'm trying to save like ten bucks on weights. I've got problems.

You guys bored as hell at work on a Friday afternoon like me or what?

See, I knew there was some brilliant and rational reason.
Glad I asked. I would of felt like such a dork.
Viva scubaboard

10tigers:
you're right. Wet rust is no fun.
how about lead balls from a fishing store?
Just just dropped a wad of cash on gear and I'm trying to save like ten bucks on weights. I've got problems.

You guys bored as hell at work on a Friday afternoon like me or what?

See, I knew there was some brilliant and rational reason.
Glad I asked. I would of felt like such a dork.
Viva scubaboard
Making soft weights is easy if you've got a good sewing machine.
25 lb bucket of lead shot from a gun shop.
Some heavy Nylon fabric and thread.
A good scale.
And a little time .
Be sure and triple stich all the seams .

Much cheaper than the pre-made softies.

I was golf ball diving the other day and I forgot two three pound weights that I put in my drysuit pockets, so there I am bouncing up and down struggling to stay underwater and pick up golf balls in black water conditions and I happen to find a bucket.

Well the bucket was full of dumbbells and there they went into my pockets, how lucky was that.

Thinking back a dumbell would work perfectly of you tied a snap hook to it. Then you could leave it on your boat or whatever and if someone needed weight real quick like you could just snap it to the bc.

But maybe that might be a lot of work for a simple solution, but hey

JUMBO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom