Info on Deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Hi,
Seeking to learn all about deco on deep dives - not that I am ready to venture into that anytime real soon, just curious how its all done, works, times, stops, mixes, etc.

Any books available that get into this topic for new divers?

Titles? Authors?

Thanks,

IMHO this is something that should be learned under the guidance of a qualified instructor. There are many things to consider, most of which I am sure you could read about on this board or in books. The difference however, is when you actually do it, you would want someone knowledgeable there to assist in the event that mistakes are made or to critique your performance. Deep dives requiring deco stops need to planned properly for depth, time, gas mixes, etc. You should also be carrying at least one redundant air source whether it is a pony bottle, stage bottle, doubles, or even just an H valve. I also believe that someone who is planning that type of dive be VERY familiar with dive tables and carry a waterproof set with them in the event of a computer failure so they can calculate stops for themselves. However if the dive was properly planned and dove according to plan, they should have the depth and times of stops written on a slate and with them anyway.

Again, just my opinion, but if you are asking this question, once you get an answer it makes it very tempting 'try it just to see'. In my opionion there is no substitute for proper training on a procedure, then experience performing it. I avidly research diving information myself, just so that I can make an informed choice about what instruction I want to accquire next.

Dive often, dive safe

John

Originally posted by Scuba446
Hi,
Seeking to learn all about deco on deep dives - not that I am ready to venture into that anytime real soon, just curious how its all done, works, times, stops, mixes, etc.

Any books available that get into this topic for new divers?

Titles? Authors?

Thanks,
Sure....
Get Weinke's "Technical Diving in Depth" from Barnes & Noble
www.bn.com

Get Jablonskis "The fundamentals of be better diving" from GUE
www.gue.com

But in all your getting get wisdom...
Wisdom is the priniciple thing...

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
But in all your getting get wisdom...
Wisdom is the priniciple thing...
MAJOR agreement here....

While experience is knowing imediately that you just screwed up and are in trouble, wisdom is knowing that you could gain experience and will handle the situation before you're in trouble.

Weinke is a great author about the theory of decompression so any book from him will increase your knowledge...

Two others that I'm enjoying...

Deeper into Diving (the author's name escapes me...sorry :( )

Scuba Diving Explained by Lawrence Martin

I also agree that finding a qualified instructor can make the difference in your training. At this level, really consider a mentor relationship since how well you understand the theory and practice will make the difference between enjoyment and possible hospitalization.

I'm just starting out myself...so I can also encourage another skill....baby steps.

Thanks all,
I'm quite a ways off from all that yet - but still interested in how it works, why, when, etc.

Thanks!

The name of the guy who wrote Deeper into Diving is John Lippman

I think it's out of print, unfortunately. That's the book I started with when I wnated to figure out deco issues. He wrote another one that is, essentially, a condensed version but leaves out alot of the good stuff about table generation and testing. The other book is "The Essentials of Deeper Sport Diving", don't let the name fool you, the Aussie's see pretty much all non-military / non-commercail diving as "sport diving". Even 350 feet on a manually flown CCR.

Weinke's (sp?) book is probably the best out right now on theory of decompression, the older Lippman books cover only disolved phase gas tracking - the classical Haldanean stuff. It's still important but it does not describe whats occuring during deco completely enough- sometimes.

BTW, don't ever be afraid to read and learn stuff before you need to know it. Alto of peole pn lists like to answear with "I won't tell you, you don't need to know right now". This typically either means that they don't understand it themselves or that they like the ego trip :)

Either way there are probably other more helpful people to contact. A qualified instructor is the best place to get critiqued but you'll never really know if they are qualified if you don't mostly know the stuff before you show up. Read first, practice and demostrate to instructor, then go slow and keep BIG eye out.

Originally posted by Jeff M. English
BTW, don't ever be afraid to read and learn stuff before you need to know it.

You've got strong agreement from me on that one. The mode I always like to run with is that I want to be able to pass the test before I take the course. That way I can spend my time learning the subtle things I would otherwise miss if I was bogged down by a ton of new info...

Jeff,
I agree,
Jeff
:)

Sorry, couldn't resist, but seriously I think you're right. If your ready for a final on the book learning part when you show up the muscle learning part can take the front seat.

Thanks,
yes, I am an avid believer in studying course materials BEFORE classes, and be versed in terminology, definations, etc.

Thanks for the info..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom