Question about Nikonos Close up kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Nikonos close up kit. I assumed that it would work with my Nik 5. I don't think it's compatible. Can anyone help me out with this. Is the Close-up kit different for the different versions of the Nikonos?

Also, I am having a problem with the tray and strobe arm. I can't seem to get the strobes to stay in place. The piece that holds the strobes to the arm is too big.
Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Divesherpa
I recently purchased a Nikonos close up kit. I assumed that it would work with my Nik 5. I don't think it's compatible. Can anyone help me out with this. Is the Close-up kit different for the different versions of the Nikonos?

Also, I am having a problem with the tray and strobe arm. I can't seem to get the strobes to stay in place. The piece that holds the strobes to the arm is too big.
Any suggestions?

Let me see if I can help. First, is the close up kit new and a Nikonos close up kit? Does it have instructions? If you don't have the instructions, let me know. I have been using a Nikonos close up kit with my Nik V for years, and find it to be a very usefull addition to my Nik V. I don't think it matters what version of Nikons it is mounted to, but does mattter what lens you are using. It can be used with three different lenses, The 28mm, 35mm,and the 80mm. What lens do you plan on using it with? It has to be assembled and the camera has to be set correctly for it to work properly. You have to use the correct frammer depending on what lens you use. The large frammer is for the 20mm, the medium for the 35mm, and the small framer is for the 80mm. Regardless of what lens you use, it is assembled the same way. If you need help putting it together, let me know. The primary lens focus knob is always set to infinity. Aperture should be set as high as possible while still getting correct exposure. This gives max depth of field.

For the strobe, what strobe and what arm are you using?

The Close-up kit is a Nikon product. I will be using it with a 35mm lens. I can see which framer to use as it is written on the framer. It looks fairly simple to assemble, but I'm not getting the lens to line up with the 35mm lens.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Divesherpa
The Close-up kit is a Nikon product. I will be using it with a 35mm lens. I can see which framer to use as it is written on the framer. It looks fairly simple to assemble, but I'm not getting the lens to line up with the 35mm lens.Any help is greatly appreciated.

What exactly do you mean, "I'm not getting the lens to line up with the 35mm lens"?
The close-up lens should slide easily over the 35mm lens. Make sure the silver knob on the side of the close-up lens is turned counter clockwise as far as it will go (don't force it) before you try to slide it on. Put the supporting rod on the camera accessory shoe and tighten it down. What I do then is put the camera on the table with the lens and supporting rod pointing up. Then slide the close-up lens over the rod and lens. It should slide on easily. Tighten the silver knob on the lens and the white knob that clamps to the support rod. If it does not slide on easily, check the clamp ring on the inside of the close-up lens to make sure it is seated right. Hope this helps
fd93c01f.jpg
fd93bfe2.jpg

You may find that you have the earlier model of the Nikonos Close Up Kit. This was designed for the Nikonos 3 models and although the lens will fit over the main lens, the clamp will not fit over the body on a Nikonos 5.
Regards
Jeff

Thank you very much Rooster for your in depth answer. This is the best response that I have ever gotten.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I guess that I have the close up kit for the NIK3.
Thanks again Rooster for your excellent post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom