The Depths of Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vayu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings,

I am doing an advanced open water deep dive to 90' at forty fathom grotto. This is my first deep dive, and I was wondering what to expect from this location. I have never been above an abyss before and do not know what it will seem like. If anyone has been there, let me know.

Thanks,

-V-

Vayu:
Greetings,

I am doing an advanced open water deep dive to 90' at forty fathom grotto. This is my first deep dive, and I was wondering what to expect from this location. I have never been above an abyss before and do not know what it will seem like. If anyone has been there, let me know.

Thanks,

-V-
If you have been able to stop before hitting the bottom on your other dives, don't worry about it. Your not going to fill with pink liquid and see weird stufff. It's just like any other dive with just a different view. Go do it and enjoy.

The best dive of my life was over Challenger Deep.

Gary D.

40 Fathoms is a dark hole and the visibility is just now returning to normal. It seems to maintain itself on the colder side of the 68-72 Spring temps. The cold and the dark seem to amplify narcosis, though not unduly so. You will be able to see the beginnings of the slope down to 240 ft. At that depth, I think you will be able to visit the sattelite dish and above that you will be able to see the motorcycle, a tow sub, Hal's "ghost town", the cave spider and some really cool fossil sand dollars, sea urchins and sea biscuits. Of course you might see another fossil: Old Hal, himself. Tell him Pete from the ScubaBoard says "hi" and I look forward to talking more with his marketing guy!

Vayu:
Greetings,

Thanks,

-V-
Hey Pete Hope Hal dose not read that about the top side fosil,Ha!ha!

Did my Deep air 165fsw at Hal Watt's 40 Fathoms, Its a cool place he has more stuff to look at hung all over the place cars,A motor cycle get a photo on it,but the real cool thing is have your Inst take you to see the fossils on the walls of this spring.
The place is set up to dive-train at thats it, its got deep divers from all over that come to his place, and he has some good rules that just not any dive Inst can come in and train at his place they have to go thru a class and get the ok.
It may look spooky with the duck weed on top but they blow it away as you start your dive,the training platforms on the water are nice,and you will get a real deep dive in as most folks eek by with a 70',80' dive on their AOW and thats not a deep dive!
Good luck on your dive s and have fun!
Brad

Vayu:
I am doing an advanced open water deep dive to 90' at forty fathom grotto. This is my first deep dive, and I was wondering what to expect from this location.
Its different there. Its a little darker than most ocean divers, and even most springs divers, are used to. Its greener too. But its a very good site to train. Take it slowly, get adjusted to it, dive smart. You may not have the typical visual references to use, so you need to tune in to your gauges. All in all, you can enjoy this one if you pay close attention to your training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom