Best diving on cebu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robertson

Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Cebu in late November/early December and can't quite figure out whether it is better to go to Moalboal or Malapascua. I'll be by myself ... so a reaaaaally quiet beach with no one might be a bit depressing (and I'm also worried about safety).

At the same time, I'm not looking for a party town so I was wondering if I could get feedback as to which is the best place to go for a week or so. I don't want really challenging dives, something nice and easy.

Is it better to book in advance at that time or is it only around the holidays in later december that things fill up? Also, any recommendations on accom and dive ops would be most appreciated (although I've already got some names from a search of posts).

Are PI's ok for single female travellers?

Was also musing on Bohol but it seems as though the transportation is more of a hassle - and thus more expensive if on my own.

Thanks!

Hi robertson, welcome to the PPD!

Any diving in cebu is good but if you're looking for something a little more upbeat, you can also try Mactan. I've been diving (and partying) in Mactan and cebu city is about 25 mins away where you can check out the city and night life.

Not only, since you'll be here a week you can also make a day trip to moalboal and even go over to Bohol. The transpo to Bohol is actually not as difficult as people think. Look up Oceanjet or Supercat.

The PI is ok for single female travellers, especially in Cebu. Of course, like in any country, you always have to watch yourself. But there's a one thing I noticed here: they only have pads, no tampons. And also, in washrooms make sure they have TP or carry your own since most of us use a "hand-operated bidet" full of water (known as a tabo) instead. This won't be a problem at the resort, but it might be for malls or public CRs.

FWIW, I've heard the night life in moalboal is ok.

Have fun in the philippines!

Chip

chip104:
Hi robertson, welcome to the PPD! But there's a one thing I noticed here: they only have pads, no tampons. And also, in washrooms make sure they have TP or carry your own since most of us use a "hand-operated bidet" full of water (known as a tabo) instead. This won't be a problem at the resort, but it might be for malls or public CRs.
Chip

nice one Chip, Chip is from Canada taking up his Masters here in the P.I.

so believe him in his concerns. howevere... tampoons ?

Chip there are tampoons available here in the P.I. , you must have some serious diahrea huh ......

hehehheheheh

I enjoy Malapascua and Thresher Shark Divers. I go there all the time without much advanced booking other than to tell TSD that I'm coming. It's usually around the end of November. I stay off the beach in the more budget bungalow (Kuan Bar -"Wobbly Boot" 750-850p) as I am diving all day and don't need the view. They do have a festival on the Island about the end of November so be carefull of where you stay- all night dancing, music, etc. I usually stay there a week or so. Lots of different places to eat from Italian, German, English, Asian fusion and local Philippino spots. Good choice of dive sites from a couple of nice walls (Calangaman and Nunez), Gato Island (nudibranch, white tips, pygmy seahorse), Monad Shoal (thresher), Lighthouse (night dive 10m max. - seahorses, mandarin fish - even mating in May).

Jason

I had a great time diving at Tambuli on Mactan in the early 80's. They're still there and I'd go back in a heartbeat.I guess a single female might view the aspects of nightlife slightly different than I did, but that was all part of being in the Navy.

Tom Winters:
I guess a single female might view the aspects of nightlife slightly different than I did, but that was all part of being in the Navy.

i bet they would, i think they were on the receiving end :D

Have travelled quite a bit in the past year for diving and I must say Malapascua was the best for me. We went to Tubattaha, Apo Island, Donsol, and recently Sipadan, Malaysia as well but nothing beats long interactions with the Thresher Sharks and a 5meter Manta!

Dove with Divelink and stayed at Cocobana. Very easy dives at both Monad Shoal (for the Threshers and Mantas) and at Gato Island. Highly recommended!

paolov:
howevere... tampoons ?

Chip there are tampoons available here in the P.I. , you must have some serious diahrea huh ......
hehehheheheh

ZING! :lol:

hmm, maybe I'm not looking in the right section of mercury. Immodium's not strong enough for me sometimes.... :D

PS: the public CR thing happened to me last year. And the tabo was still in the big bucket outside! I had to wait until someone came along (20 mins!).

Ok, thanks for the advice... so malapascua seems to be better than moalboal? I don't really feel like travelling around a lot, so I'm not going to try to squeeze everything in - a week isn't too long when you're faced with 8 hr bus rides.

In terms of being a female traveller, I'm not really worried about tampons in the PIs - more like someone breaking into my room or getting groped or mugged or something. I have been around most of southeast asia extensively so I like checking these things before I go to a new country.

If you want great diving, then Malapascua is the place to go. You can spend a whole week there and never get tired of diving. November/December is typically mid-season for tourists, so it shouldn't be that quiet and depressing. I was there in August, that was depressing, the place was almost deserted. For topside activity, I think, its the time of the year, when the resorts starts organizing activities for their guests. Other than that, there's really not much night life on the island, but thats also the allure of Malapascua. If you venture out at night, make sure you bring a flashlight, there are no street lights. Dive shop? I would recommend Thresher Shark Divers. Its a small shop owned and operated by Andrea and Trevor they're the ones who take their customers diving. For accommodation, depends what you like, by the beach, there's Cocobana, on a budget without any views, Kuan Ba. Just give TSD a call.

In Moalboal and Mactan, diving is alright and its not the best of what Cebu has to offer. The former has Pescador island, Tongo Point Sanctuary and there's a lot more to do than Malapascua. Kawasan falls is nearby and a must see. As for the latter, thats where most of the resorts are located, nighlife is a whole lot better and has more non-diving activities. When diving, I would recommend you do Nalusuan and Hilutungan islands, both are fish sanctuaries and are well worth it. In Mactan, you can find 5 star (Plantation Bay, Shangri-La) to no-star accommodations (Hadsan comes to mind), just depends on your budget. As for dive shops, Tambuli's dive shop is reasonably priced, without equipment, a 2 tank dive will only cost you $38 dollars, including a DM. Other shops that come to mind, Liquid Assets and Scuba World are also pretty good.

Enjoy your stay in Cebu.

Back
Top Bottom