DUI Weight and Trim II (WT2) vs. Halcyon ACB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seylerdl

Registered
Reaction score
On another thread about the Halcyon ACB, someone mentioned the DUI WT2 weighting system. I have an order into Halcyon for an ACB, but the more I read on this board, the more I think it might be better to have weights separate from my BC. Sounds like the combined weight of my Halcyon Pioneer BP/wings and ACB might make handling pretty difficult. (As well as other problems mentioned in the past by Uncle Pug). Up until now, I have used a standard hard weight belt (~25 lbs), but due to my large size and shape (6', 280 lbs), the belt always falls down, unless I cinch it up really tight, which doesn't help my breathing/comfort too much. I really think I need some type of suspenders to help hold the weights up, to keep them from falling around my knees! The DUI WT2 seems to be just the ticket, but I have only seen pictures. Can anyone provide an informed opinion on which way I should go (WT2, ACB, something else)?

Thanks,
Dave

If you do decide to get the ACB, do what I do - leave the weight pouches out of the pockets until you're about to put your rig on! I can't understand why anyone would lug their rig around by hand with the weights in it, without wearing it. If you have to carry your rig somewhere (like from the shore or dock to the car), just put the harness on and wear it to where ever you're going!!! Beats carrying a backplate and tank by hand.

Correct me if I'm wrong Uncle Pug, but isn't your main concern with the ACB the drag it presents on the diver's profile? The DUI WT2 doesn't look to have improved on the drag issue at all, and it is not as simple as the ACB.

Yes, the ACB does add drag... but it also puts the canister light out further away from the body. The there is the issue of having a plastice buckle holding the weight in... not my favorite.

But the DUI is worse IMO... with the above plus having another harness to wear under your bp harness.

The harness only holds you weights up when you are standing or vertical in the water. In the correct horizontal postion a weight belt doesn't slide down.

Another solution that I prefer is a mesh type weight belt with pockets to put weight pouches in. Usually the shot bags that are sold for weight pouches are lumpy little affairs. However one of our Scuba Boarders design a mesh belt and also pouches the are flat. The belt does not slide down because the mesh grips the suit and the flat pouches make for a comfortable weight belt.

You can see Heath's belt at www.idsewing.com
I have no financial interest in this at all but I do use one of Heath's belts when I am diving a singles rig. I purposely wear the belt loose so that it is on my hips below my plate instead of around my waist... and it doesn't slip down at all... but of course I am horizontal most of the time :wink:

Thanks for the replies, so far.

Bengiddens: Is it pretty easy to stuff the weights into the ACB pouches when you have your BP on, and are sitting down, for example, in a boat? I would be using around 10# per side.

Uncle Pug: I have had some correspondence with Heath. Thanks for the advice on the mesh belt. I'll have to try this, or another idea Heath is working on. Regarding your disdain for plastic Fastex-type buckles: I agree that they are a weak link in the system. Do you know of another type of buckle that might replace what is supplied with the ACB? Does anyone make a 316SS fastex buckle, or another metal buckle that would be not so prone to accidental release or potential breakage?? Since I do not yet own a cannister light, and probably will not have one in the near future, that particluar ACB issue does not concern me now.

?
Dave

Originally posted by seylerdl
Thanks for the replies, so far.

Bengiddens: Is it pretty easy to stuff the weights into the ACB pouches when you have your BP on, and are sitting down, for example, in a boat? I would be using around 10# per side.
Grumble, grumble, people keep mis-spelling my name...:rolleyes:

I've used 10lb per side (single solid weight) in the ACB+ (which are the smaller sized ones ) when diving aluminum tanks - I would slip these into the pockets while the backplate was strapped to the tank sitting on the bench, and then sit in front of the rig, slip it on, stand up, and then do up the waist harness. When the pouches are full, the buckles are a little tight to clip in place - it's easier to do it while you're not wearing it. You can insert the pockets after donning the rig, but it's easier to do just before you put it on - you won't need anyone to help you, and you don't have to bend over to pick them up with a tank strapped to your back.

Sorry about the mis-spelling, Mr. Bengiddins! Mine gets butchered all the time, too.

I guess I'll just have to try the ACB's myself whenever they arrive. I have had some on order for a month now, but still waiting.... I was hoping I could pop the weights in the pockets while I was seated, just prior to, for example, back-rolling off the side of the boat. The less time I have to stand up with full gear on, the better, for me.

Regards,
Dave

That's the beauty of a backplate and harness - the harness evenly distributes the load around your shoulders and back, even out of the water. Having the weights on the harness while standing is not uncomfortable. It's a lot more comfortable IMO than a conventional weightbelt. That being said, I've never dived the backplate with a weightbelt... something I should try one day I suppose. I've only dived weightbelts with jacket BCs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom