Need Help---bcd Repair Question---

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craborn

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My aqualung Pro Unlimited BCD was involved in an accident and has a hole from a burn. The hole is about the size of a pencil and does allow deflation. Does anyone know how I can patch that? Thanks for the help!!

craborn:
My aqualung Pro Unlimited BCD was involved in an accident and has a hole from a burn. The hole is about the size of a pencil and does allow deflation. Does anyone know how I can patch that? Thanks for the help!!

i had a parkway BCD that a ow borrowed. returned it with a hole.

i patched it with rubber that is at least 1 inch over the hole (hole 1/4 inch, total diameter of patch 1 1/4 diameter) using the adhesive used in them inflatables.

but then again, i had it tried and tried until i was convinced it (patch) wouldn't give way. so far it has held its' post.

Thanks for the info, have you ever used that glue stuff for bcds.. does it work?

I don't recommend patching holes in bladders - the penalty for a patch that fails can be very high. It's your life, however, and an inner-tube patch kit is what I would use: the patch and the glue are designed to contain pressure, remain flexible and take a fair amount of abuse.
  1. Tell your loved ones you may be about to kill yourself because you're so parsimonious.
  2. If you can't easily access the inside of the bladder to install the patch, give up and buy a new one.
  3. Thoroughly clean and rough up the area to be patched.
  4. Make sure that the patch extends at least an inch beyond the edge of the hole.
  5. After positioning the patch, apply a gentle even pressure and allow the patch to cure completely.
  6. Test the patch thoroughly before you rely on it.
  7. Name me as a beneficiary on your life insurance.
  8. Introduce your buddy to your wife - she's likely to be in need of a new husband after the experiment.

In all seriousness, I've tried to repair bladder leaks in the past and they rarely hold. I'd strongly suggest you not even attempt a repair but if you do, I'd retire the damaged wing to the pool and buy a new one for open water.

paolov:
i had a parkway BCD that a ow borrowed. returned it with a hole.

i patched it with rubber .....

If someone borrowed my BCD and returned it with a hole, he'll be buying me a new BCD.:wink:

this is my pool bcd for training students. if i was going to be in the ocean i would not fix it. I have a new bcd that i use for real diving. thanks for all the help guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom