Shore diving/Spearfishing in PCB area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DDC1225

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been doing some diving at St. Andrews at the Jetties and because this is a State Park they do not allow spearfishing or pokepoling from shore dives. Is there anywhere in the PCB area that would be a good shore dive where you can spearfish?

I actually do not know *why* they don't allow spearing. It isn't simply bc it's a state park, many other stat parks do allow it. The park at Cape San Blas, for example.

Line fishing is no problem, so it isn't about not taking the fish. FWC regs do say that spearing must be at least 100 feet from the jetty, and with the channel so narrow that might be a problem to comply with. But whatever the reason, it is specific to that park.

I don't know of any shore dives, other than just going out on the sand. Maybe we'll both find out something here.

Welcome to ScubaBoard DDC1225,

Can't offer any help on specific park regulations, but I've heard that FL will allow you to use a spear or knife given if there is no means of propulsion(no band, no pneumatics, ect). I've tried confirming this information, but I'm getting mixed answers. You'll need a fishing liscense for spearfishing, that much I know.

St Andrews park does not allow it, period. Can't even take shells by hand.

Statewide, you must be a min 100 feet away from a jetty to spear, but St Andrews has its own rules.

Where CAN you spearfish in Northwest Florida? Keep in mind we are planning to be shore diving.

Comon over to Orange Beach(AL, just over the FL line) and shoot fish off the beach all day long :)

Orange Beach has a set of jetties at Alabama Point that can be dived and fished using spears or otherwise. There are a few other shore dive sites as well, including some wrecks(dunno if they've been uncovered by sand since the storms or not yet).

There is camping in the area, but not directly onsite.

FL saltwater fishing regs are here:

http://myfwc.com/marine/regulation.htm

Spearfishing here:

http://myfwc.com/marine/spearing.htm

Spearing is defined as “the catching or taking of a fish by bowhunting, gigging, spearfishing, or any device used to capture a fish by piercing its body. Spearing does not include the catching or taking of a fish by a hook with hook and line gear or by snagging (snatch hooking)”. The use of powerheads, bangsticks, and rebreathers remains prohibited. The following is a list of species

that are prohibited for harvest by spearing. Any other species not listed that are managed by the Commission, and those species not managed by the Commission, are allowed to be harvested by spearing.

* Billfish (all species)
* Spotted eagle ray
* Sturgeon
* Manta ray
* Sharks
* Bonefish
* Tarpon
* Goliath Grouper
* Snook
* Blue Crab
* Nassau grouper
* Spotted seatrout
* Red drum
* Weakfish
* Stone Crab
* Pompano
* African pompano
* Permit
* Tripletail
* Lobster
* Families of ornamental reef fish (surgeonfish, trumpetfish, angelfish, butterflyfish, porcupinefish, cornetfish, squirrelfish, trunkfish, damselfish, parrotfish, pipefish, seahorse, puffers, triggerfish except gray and ocean)

You May NOT Spearfish (Excluding bowhunting and gigging):

* Effective July 1, 2001, spearfishing of marine and freshwater species in freshwater is prohibited. Possession of a spear gun in or on freshwater is also prohibited.
* Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.
* Within 100 feet of any part of a jetty that is above the surface of the sea – except for the last 500 yards of a jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline.
* In Collier County and in Monroe County from Long Key north to the Dade County line.
* For any fish for which spearing is expressly prohibited by law (listed above).
* In any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Environmental Protection,Recreation and Parks. (Possession of spearfishing equipment is prohibited in these areas, unless it is unloaded and properly stored.)

Fishermen who catch and/or sell fish harvested by spearing are subject to the same rules and limitations that other anglers in the state are required to follow.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom