Is 45# Pioneer wing an overkill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

globaldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles/California, (originally from Stockholm
I am switching from a transpack II, to BP with Halcyon Pioneer wing, and wonder if 36# would be enough for me (which I believe) or if I need a 45#?

With the Pioneer wing I will use either single PST 104, or PST HP 120.

I am 6'2"/200lbs, dive with DUI cf 200/g200 or g400 undergarment (depending on temperature and activity). Diving will take place both in the Pacific Ocean and in lakes.

Greatful for any input.

Sincerely

Anders :)

what wing were you using with the transpak?

Anders.... an important piece of the puzzle is missing...

Are you going with weight integration or weight belt?

Also are you going to be using a weighted STA?

I dive a 6# SS backplate with a 6# lead channel weight and a single 104 using a 27# Halcyon Pioneer wing.... but I only dive it in salt.

I do not want all the weight on the BC, but rather divided between a weight belt and the BC. I normally use the DUI weight harness instead of a regular weight belt.

If I purchase the Halcyon SST plate with a Pioneer wing, I beleive there is no need for a STA anymore?
I have also looked at the Fred T heavy 9# backplate with a two piece STA. I do not know if I can disregard the STA on that plate with Halcyons new Pioneer wing.

Sincerely

Anders :)

Originally posted by globaldiver
what is the DIR opinion on weight harness vs weight belt when diving with BP & wing?
But realize that DIR is mainly concerned with Technical and Cave diving using doubles... and at least in the case of double steel 104s there is seldom any additional weight required.

That said... diving singles I much prefer a mesh weight belt over the Halcyon ACBs but either of them over another harness under my bp harness ala DUI. The extra harness is stuff you don't need. The right belt won't slide down.

I wear a mesh belt under my crotch strap/waist strap. I only use 8# at present because I poured a lead channel weight that gives me another 6#... before that I used 12~14# in the belt depending on which drysuit I was using.

Belt:
www.idsewing.com
Channel weight:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10847

I'm getting ready to buy a Halcyon BP & Wing set-up, and not sure what exactly to get. I'm 6' , 185 or so, I live here on the west coast and probably will be diving wet. Also, where is the best place to buy a BP & Wing set-up? Most my local shops sell Zeagle or Dive Rite and have not heard of Halcyon.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom