Transpac vs. Reefrider

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howman

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking at the 2 back-bladder BCD's that my LDS carries...

Dive Rite Transpac and Aeris Reefrider.

The Transpac was decent (it was on their rental line), and I liked how I was able to trim, the fit, and the adjustability.

The Aeris seems like a lower-cost option, with a few pockets, but plastic D-rings.

Please post any opinions on these (or similar) BCD's.

Thanks.

I'm pretty new (like you I suppose), but my new Transpac (Rec wing) has 4 dives on it, so I'll tell you about my opinion on it so far.

I was talked into the Rec wing - was originally to buy the Venture wing for single tank use. I'm happy with it though- trim is extremely easy. When I dove a jacket BC (SeaQuest) I would tend to "roll" a bit when finning. Doesn't happen with the Transpac. The wing is a little hard to vent, but I'm getting used to it.

The adjustability is great. I spent an hour adjusting it the day I got it, and am still making minor adjustments as I dive with it.

If you liked it when you rented - go ahead and get it, it could be worth the extra cash. Try out the Aeris too.

Get a transpac. It'll last longer! It's very versatile and indestructable. Your other options would be an OMS iq pack or a Halcyon BP/w. Any of those are excellent choices and will give you years of carefree diving.

Tristessa:
Get a transpac. It'll last longer! It's very versatile and indestructable. Your other options would be an OMS iq pack or a Halcyon BP/w. Any of those are excellent choices and will give you years of carefree diving.

I dove my OW dives with a ReefRider. It was my instructors travel BC. I just put extra weight in the pockets to dive in a 7mm. It worked really well but it does have a limit of 20# in the tank straps pouches and removable weight pouches. For non-cold diving that should be enough for most people. I need a bit more than that if I where a full 3mm (I am larger than normal).

I ended up buying a SeaQuest Balance for a bit more than the Reefrider. I like the weight pouches. Like the Reefrider it is very open in the front. The wing is too large but it is OK.

Out of what your looking at, I would choose the Reefrider. Less things to put together and a solid BC. If your complaints with the Reefrider is the plasctic D-rings and few pockets, you may find the Zeagle Brigade to be a perfect choice. It is very similar to the Reefrider, however it comes with 6 metal D-rings and pockets about twice the size of a Reefrider. Not to mention Zeagle's come with a full lifetime warranty, and are comparable in price to the Reefrider.

You can only find the Brigade at ScubaToys.com but since your already on Scubaboard they'll give you 10% off.

It's something you may want to check out. It might just be what you're looking for.

Good luck getting what's right for you!

You can always take the best of both worlds....

I have a Dive Rite trans II and OMS double 100 bladder....perfect for rec and tec...use stabilisers and you can throw your twin tanks on and you have as many d rings as you like...add a crotch strap and you can use it in the bedroom too.

Perhaps the only criticism a true blue tekky might add is that the trans pak has the plastic snap clips on the harness and these could be failure points. Complete loop webbing on these type of rigs don't usually have them. Chances that they break/snap whilst diving are slim.

boogey

Thanks for the replies. I just realized, I could also get an Aeris Atmos XT, which is not much more expensive than the Reefrider, but has more extras, and is supposed to be like rear inflation (with its hybrid aircell). And this BC still costs $300 less than a TransPac+Aircell+Weight Pockets+Pouch!

Any comments on the Atmos XT?

I did get to check out the latest version of the TransPac harness - it has more D-rings, different buckles and other minor tweaks. I did not see any information of such a model change on their website.

1. What is an OMS bladder?
2. The Zeagle seems nice. However, my LDS does not sell Zeagles (they carry Mares, Dive Rite and Aeris BCD's) - I never dove with a Zeagle to get a good feel for them. None of the other LDS carry Zeagle either, so I ought to pass on this.

I own a reefrider. 70+ dives on it, very happy. I also use it with a drysuit -- you can get 7 in the front pockets, no problem, plus 5s in the back -- 24 lb. Add a tank weight and you can schlep 28 lb.

Compact, easy to take on travel, and it's a back inflate -- nice unit overall.

The plastic D-rings are fine.

Of course, YMMV.

Skip both and go with the TransPlate.

Aeris has a 2yr warranty (and a 30 day satisfaction guarantee)
Dive Rite has a lifetime warranty
(Zeagle has a lifetime warranty)

I am now looking at the Aeris Atmos XT (a few more features and 3 lbs more than a Reefrider at comparable price)
Also, someone pointed me at the Zeagle Brigade (comparable price and meets my desired features, and the Stiletto is similar)
The TransPac also has all the features I am interested in, but at a premium in cost.

My LDS rents Transpacs and they do not carry any Zeagles. (I want to be loyal to my LDS, but not at a big cost).
It seems rash to purchase a BC that I never tried, but I am sure that most people can adjust to most any type. Plus, it has the back-bladder and open front that I like (plus weight pockets, storage pockets and SS D-rings). Is a Brigade much different in performance than a Transpac?

Your opinions are invaluable.

Back
Top Bottom