Camera Storage on Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txdano

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a camera housing with dual tray and a strobe. How do you guys store you cameras safely while on the boat? I don't want to break it down, and am thinking some kind of large padded bag might work. The boats I go on are usually small and have no storage. Thanks for any advice.

How small is the boat? No rinse bucket? Maybe a towel in a dry bag would work well.

I'm very lucky. I am able to take my own rinse cooler, only for me, on the boat. It is one of those square ones and when I put my camera set up in it, it touches all sides...kinda locks itself in. The safest spot on the boat :D

Take your own storage then - get a Rubbermaid Roughneck container. You have too much invested in your rig for haphazard storage. And if some bozo starts using your camera bucket for his mask or whatever, you have every right to tell him/her "Thanks but no thanks."

Usually 4 to 6 divers. I am looking for some kind of large padded bag maybe that I can put the whole rig in between dives. Anything has to be better that laying it down on the bench or deck.

howarde:
How small is the boat? No rinse bucket? Maybe a towel in a dry bag would work well.

txdano:
I am looking for some kind of large padded bag maybe that I can put the whole rig in between dives.

Don't you need a rinse bucket of some sorts? Personally, I think a large plastic container that will double as freshwater rinse bucket is much preferable to the idea of a padded bag.

If you insist on a padded camera bag there are tons of options. Perhaps start with LowePro. However, you'll need something very large to accomodate a housed camera rig.

http://www.lowepro.com/

I wrap my fold my stobe arm close to the housing and wrap the intire unit in a damp hand towel and put in a soft sided cooler.
my sinc cord for the stobe is external so i detach it and put it in a travel soapdish. this works very well

Depending on the size of your rig, a padded collapsible drink cooler works well. As Sharky mentioned, instead of water, wrap it in a wet towel.

Yes, a rinse bucket is ideal but as long as you keep the housing wet/damp, the saltwater won't dry. You can then give it a good freshwater soaking when you get back to land.

FWIW, I always use a wet towel and never a rinse tank. Too much damage can happen if you leave it in a rinse tank, especially if there are several rigs using it. Scratched lens ports, broken/cut sync cords, housing clamps popped open. Even the vibration of the boat through the water can loosen screws.

I have been using a soft beverage cooler with great results. It insulates the camera from the outside temperature in tropical climates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom