I need serious help deciding which camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

radarguy

Registered
Reaction score
HELP! I have a real paradigm. I am in the process of selling off my Nikonos system with the hopes of getting into digital. My major problem is that I am on a limited budget. Like $1500. I was first looking at the Sealife DC500 Maxx with the two strobes. A second strobe was the next purchase for the Nikonos so I want to have at least the option of adding a second strobe. Well in reading the reviews on ScubaBoard no one was really impressed with it. The $1300 fit into my budget and the camera has some attractive features but seems to lacks image control. I then looked at the Sea & Sea DX8000 but could not find much information about it. Sea & Sea doesn't even have it on their website. I did read a couple of amateur reviews about it that were positive. Then I found the Olympus C7070 which looked to be built to go underwater...But..The Olympus website shows its estimated retail price is $449. so looking at the Ikelite, with true TTL, for $600 with a decent strobe gets me up to if not over my limit. And then for some reason when I look on the net for the C7070, I can't find it for much less than $700 which gets me way over my budget. The Olympus housing is cheap but looks like a toy. Then I read that some people have experienced close-up focusing problems. Did I mention that I like to do close-up work the best so what ever I get need to get me close.
Now the last thing I should mention is that I already own a D70 but I have no clue about housings. The Fantasea is in my budget but It does't seem to have much of a following. Somewhere I got the impression that it did not provide all of the controls but I can't verify that and the strobe connection is apparently for the Nikon SB-105 or equivalent. Does that mean that the D70 will use in TTL mode?
Also I bought a Tamron AF lens instead of the Nikon because the Nikon mounting hardware is plastic and the Tamron is metal. But will the gears fit or will I have to buy a Nikon lens? All of the metal housings are way to expensive and the Ikelite housing doesn't leave me much budgetary room and Ikelite seems to nickle and dime you to death. This is way to much to consider...I think I'll switch to video. Just kidding.
Sorry for such a long message. I could have made it a lot longer! But, If anyone has any advise I would love to listen.
Thanks,
Russ

I've got 3 of the Olympus housings and can attest that they are not toys. Mine is used predominantly for macro shots and I have no problems with focusing.

The Oly C-7070 was recently discontinued but you should still be able to find them. Did you look on the Oly store page? Or look for refurbished ones.

You may also look at the Canon S and A series cameras with Canon housings. There's been alot of info on Oly and Canon and a quick search for 'new camera' will find a bunch.

If you're interested in an Oly C-5050, housing, lens, etc...the whole package, I know someone selling one. PM me and I'll get the details for you. I have 2 of them and they are an excellent camera that will fit within your budget.

The Fuji F810 is a great camera. It is discontinued but can still be found with a little searching. Camera + housing can be had for under $1000. Leaves enough money in your budget for a pretty nice strobe.

to be more exact:

F810 Ikelite Housing : RRP USD 300
F810 on ebay : RRP USD 320 including shipping

USD 1000 will get you a tray system and arms even, with spare cash for extra xD cards and batteries....Or Inon Macro and WA lens and you'll have an excellent video setup capable of shooting 640X480 at 30 fps

click on monkey knife-fight's gallery if u wanna see good shots taken with just the F810.

I own 2 F810 bodies and with my recent purchase of a DSLR, may let one of them go. PM me if you are keen.

Eric

I just did a search on the fuji 810 specs and it has some awesome features. I assume the housing of choice is the Ikelite. The fuji is a lot cheaper but is it really cheaply made? What is the recommended flash to go with it? Looks like it has to be manual. I was looking at. Dr. Wartons photos and they are great. Was he using a single or dual flash set-up? Should I keep my SB-105?

I would be sure it could not only take pics....but short vids too.

I enjoy our Canon Powershot A95 and the associated Canon housing. We take great pictures, short videos, and it has features that are easy to use and setup. The cost for the gear is reasonable....and if they ever flooded I would not lose more than 2 nights sleep over it (due to the cost).
If I didn't know better RICHinNC might be part of the 82nd AIRPLANE GANG. I've seen a few DZ's like that in a previous life at the "OLD" No-War-04.

OK guys, Most of the online stores that still carry the Fuji F810 only offer the import model. Anyone know any down side to this?
Thanks for all the great advice. Looks like I am zeroing in on a couple of choices.
Russ

kthan:
I own 2 F810 bodies and with my recent purchase of a DSLR, may let one of them go. PM me if you are keen.

the extra body has been sold in double quick time...wow!

Russ, hope u can join the club.

Just ordered my F810. My wife wants to get the Ikelite housing for me for CHRISTmas so I will have to give it a good ride while I wait.
Thanks for all the advice,
Russ

U

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom