October 30th - UW PUMPKIN CARVING & BBQ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReneeC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
HEY EVERYONE - IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO THE SPRINGS AND WANT TO GET SOME FUN DIVE TIME IN - JOIN ME FOR WORLD WATERSPORTS UW PUMPKIN CARVING CONTEST! I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A SB / CONCH GROUP THERE!

TIGERTAIL LAKE IS PRETTY COOL AND I AM ONE OF THE NEW INSTRUCTORS FOR THE OCEAN REEF NEPTUNE FULL FACE SYSTEMS WHICH WE WILL BE ABLE TO TRY OUT.

LET ME KNOW ASAP IF YOU ARE INTERESTED BECAUSE I ALREADY MISSED THE DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION! ( I HAVE A FEW CONTACTS AND CAN STILL GET IN.)

BELOW IS SOME ADDITIONAL INFO.

October Underwater Pumpkin Carving Activity – Mark your calendars now for Sunday, October 30. This is the date of our first annual Underwater Pumpkin Carving Contest and BBQ. We are scheduling this event at Tigertail Lake in front of our Dania Beach location from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. This Halloween event will be open to World Watersports staff, our affiliated independent instructors and their certified students, members of the BCC Dive Club, and other invited guests. Arrangements have been made with Ocean Reef to provide several of their Neptune Full Face Masks with communications units for us to use during the event.

Each participant will provide their own pumpkin for carving (with the insides pre-scooped), there will be several categories with award certificates and prizes, and buddy teams will have photos taken underwater and above water with their pumpkins as mementos of the event. Awards and prizes will be presented at the BBQ following the “pumpkin dive.” We are also planning for some demo equipment to be available in addition to the full face masks, and some media coverage of the event. The cost of the event will be $25 per diver and $20 per non-diver. This cost will cover the entry fee to Tigertail Lake ($8), the BBQ and drinks ($8), and the cost of certificates and prizes ($9).

It's not too late to get in on the fun of this 1st Underwater Pumpkin Carving Contest and Beach BBQ!!

In addition to being able to try out the Ocean Reef Full Face Mask and Communications system, ZEAGLE is also coming down with a lot of their BCDs, Regulators, and their new RAPID-DIVER that was a real hit at the DEMA show. You'll be able to try out all the great Zeagle products...and SEALIFE cameras are bringing in several of their new D500 digital cameras for us to use.

The event is being held from 10a - 3p Sunday, Oct. 30 at Tigertail Lake in Dania Beach. Just take the Griffin Road exit off I-95 and go west to the first stoplight (Angler's Ave.) Turn left and then make another quick left at the first light directly into SPORTSMANS PARK. Parking is at Broward Community College's Watersports Center...the first right you can make after entering Sportsmans Park.

The cost of the event is $25 per diver and covers the entry fee to BCC's Watersports Center, the BBQ and beverages, and Prizes. Everyone attending will also receive a CD with above water and underwater pictures and a video of their carving efforts.

Bring a Pre-Scooped pumpkin and compete for prizes in the following categories:
1. Best Overall Pumpkin
2. Scariest Pumpkin
3. Most Humerous Pumpkin
4. Most Creative Pumpklin
5. Best Dive-Related Pumpkin

There are 3 divisions to compete in:
Youth: 10-14 yrs.
Teen: 15-18 yrs.
Adult: 19 and on up...

1st, 2nd, and 3rd. place prizes in each division.

You can register for the event and get additional information at any World Watersports location: Orlando, West Palm Beach, Dania Beach, Florida City, Key Largo, or Key West. Or...you can register online by going to our website: www.worldwatersports.com/calendar.

Or...if you wish, just PM me and I'll get you additional information or take care of your registration.

If the seas are still running high after Wilma, our lake and training facilities will be nice and calm. Also you can enjoy some beachfront fun with beach volleyball, and if you get too tired from all the activity...there are a couple of hammocks under our shade awning with a cooling misting system!!!

Hope to see some of you guys out with us for some Halloween FUN!

Krista,

I am totally psyched that you can come down for this! I can't get away for the Springs either and I think the beach is going to be a washout next weekend.

Let's talk during the week and we could rendevous at my house, get our pumpkins scooped and ready and leave from here. I'm only ten minutes away. You are also welcome to come the night before and stay here if you would like.

Jump online and register.

I may have to bail on the MegaDive due to issues with my car that are going to cost me an arm & a leg this week. This might just be a good consolation event....

Marvel....again? Sorry to hear it. Look forward to possibly seeing you!!!

I'm registered online. Anyone know the lake depth and general water temp, or have a link to send me to? Just for planning.........

Renee...I'm game for meeting up in the am; having my birthday dinner the night before since Scott has to work Sunday... :D

See you there!

Well, I really think Ginnie is not in the cards for me this time so I've gone ahead & registered for the Scuba Carve. I'll know by midweek for sure. Jenny, if I don't go, I've got something for you to take up with you.

Krista & Marvel,

Post-Wilma we should get together to discuss our strategy for this event! At least via phone! This will have to be a BDay party as well!!!

The lake was 86 last weekend and starts with a short slope around the perimeter which quickly drops to a good depth. I've been to 50+ in the center but think we can probably settle down in 10' - 12' comfortably unless they have a different area designated for the carving area. I'll bring my float and we can anchor down. The bottom around the edge is soft but settles pretty quickly. In the center there is dense vegetation which we will want to avoid.

I'm diving the lake next Saturday with students so I can get a new reading and try to scope out a spot for us - shall we be a three-person buddy team????

I'm glad they have an adult category... Are there good prizes??? Michelle (my wife) is a good pumpkin carver... I am also not too sure about driving all the way up to ginnie either (sorry jenny).

Howard

Have no idea what the prizes will be except a fun day, new experience, comraderie, and getting wet. Come on and sign up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom