Underwater strobe, use on land?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nshon

Contributor
Reaction score
Not that I want to find out the expensive way but how safe is it to use an underwater strobe (Inon D-2000) on land. Say to take 10-20 shots.

Do underwater strobes depend on water to cool off?

nshon:
Not that I want to find out the expensive way but how safe is it to use an underwater strobe (Inon D-2000) on land. Say to take 10-20 shots.

I've used my YS 120s on land as slave strobes, never had a problem...

But if i were you i would check with Inon

nshon:

ive been curious as well. glad you asked.

Why wouldn't it, after all it's only a flash unit! I have used my Inon D180 many times (great photos) only problem I have to place it in the housing as if set up for diving.

I recently tested some new nimh batteries and didn't do it underwater. I set my YS90dx off 300 times and finally got tired. When I gave up, the strobe was warm but not hot.
I always test my strobes before I take them on a dive and fire them once or twice.

http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=9531;start=msg84382#msg84382

Check out the above thread at DigitalDiver.Net. I've used my INON Z-220 for topside shots for over a year now. No issues I'm told, as long as you avoid rapid bursts of no more than 10-20. I like to shoot with the strobe topside at very high shutter speeds, small apertures (f8.0) low strobe power settings and a diffuser to help soften the light. Here are a few examples from my web photo gallery. Taken with the 5050 in SMacro mode.

bee2.jpg

maldivesflower.jpg

starfruit_001.jpg

I've used a couple Ike Substrobes for slave fill at a friends' wedding with no issues, except, they had quite a bit more horsepower than I needed.

You used to be able to get an Ikelite sync cord with a land (PC socket) end on it, so that tells you something.

All the best, James

fdog:
I've used a couple Ike Substrobes for slave fill at a friends' wedding with no issues, except, they had quite a bit more horsepower than I needed.

You used to be able to get an Ikelite sync cord with a land (PC socket) end on it, so that tells you something.

All the best, James

Hi James:

A couple years ago I tried to assemble a makeshift home studio with a dropcloth background, my Ike substrobe 225 as side light and the camera and speedlight approaching from the other side. An mv50 was used as a back light to give depth. Unfortunately the ttl features of camera and Ike strobes did not work together. If I slaved and fired all strobes manually, and manually set the camera, I could get consistent light readings on my incident meter. I used an embroidery hoop with some light white fabric as a difuser, softener. It actually worked ok in the end, but not close to what a moderately priced monolight umbrella or softbox setup could have done.

I use my underwater slave strobes more on land than underwater. They are great for when I need a lot of light. Balancing a couple of strobes can take some experimenting and my D-70 needs to be in the manual mode to get it right.

I was going to answer my own question. The manual states that you shouldn't use it on land, but then again given the replies, you shouldn't drive above the speed limit. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom