Decisions....Decisons....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keruxts

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm trying to make a decision on a BCD. The use will be recovery and recreational with an eye toward moving in a more techincal direction in the future. Current front runners are the Deep Outdoors Matrix (most of the team dives this) or possibly running a Zeagle ranger/brigade for now. Any thoughts?

The Zeagle would not be my first choice. They make some great products but their BC's don't hold up really well. I have a very good friend that dive with a Zeagle Tech BC and the cordura is staring to tear after only about 150 dives. I've got other BC's with hundreds of dives on them that show a little fading but very little wear.

Scottri,

Your experience with Zeagle is the exact opposite of mine. I have never heard of ANYONE disatisfied with the quality of their Zeagle. There have been rips and tears that happen with ALL BCs, but rarely do I hear that the manufacturer will fix it for free like Zeagle does. Their customer support is simply OUTSTANDING. I would have your friend contact ScottZeagle on this board to get his BC repaired.

I will and thanks. I'm not knocking Zeagle, they do make some very good products, I'm just saying they wouldn't be my first choice in BC. It's really only my opinion and should be taken as such.

If doubles are in your future get a backplate and wing. You'll replace far less equipment in the long run, which is much cheaper.

Roak

The Ranger is a capable technical and recreational BC. Until last year Rangers were not available in a cordura fabric, so more than 99.9% of them are made of ballistic cloth, which can fray at any exposed edges. As NetDoc stated, Zeagle will fix any that have problems under their lifetime warranty.

Chad
Zeagle Rep.

Thanks Chad, it is a few years old. That is really the only problem I've ever seen with Zeagle BC's. He has gotten good service out of it.

I used to dive, still do from time to time, with a zeagle back plate and manta wing...that was when I dived with a dry suit before moving to warmer climes. Diving with a backplate and 3mm wetsuit can be painful and rub a bit.

I switched to a Dive Rite harness and OMS double 100. The redundancy of the drysuit was gone so a double bladder is perfect.

The Dive Rite harness, WITHOUT backplate, can be rigged for twins with stabilising brackets...it moves a bit but it works well. The harness has well located D rings for side slinging stages but is most comfortable without all that and perfect for single tank/rec dives too.

Backplates are not essential for diving twins......get that out of your head......

The concern that wings push you forward, just don't over inflate on the surface and have it so your swede is just sticking above the water level and you'll be as happy as Larry.

Boogey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom