BP/W Harness Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tau

Contributor
Reaction score
I am having trouble understanding how to rig my harness. I've gotten all the way to the last step and now i'm second guessing myself on what to do. Here are some things I need clarification on.

1) (From the View Point of the user) The main waist buckle is threaded on the left webbing correct?

2) If the above is correct, you leave about 4 inches of extra webbing that wraps back to the left side and is held there by a Plastic retainer or bicycle tubing?

What about the right waist webbing, do you just leave the extra webbing dangling after you lock it in? How much extra webbing should I leave?

3) If the above is correct, the right webbing with the buck attached should be long enough to end up on the right side of the user. Now theres the option of using the main buckle to hold the light canister or use a seperate plastic buckle to hold the canister. I don't have a canister yet and don't plan on getting one till early next year, how do I measure where the main buckle should be? Do I need a seperate buckle? Placements?

Pictures?

I used this link while rigging my harness :
http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/kit/harness_2.htm

1. Yes
2. No. That extra webbing will lay flat under the buckle.

Extra webbing should be enough to accomodate your wetsuit(s), or your drysuit, and maybe a foot more should you gain a little weight :) It will tuck back through the crotch strap.

3. I keep my buckle about halfway between my navel, and where the canister would be directly at my side. That way, I have room for a second buckle on there if need be.

same as above. i keep just a little more on the right strap. but i put a pice of soft neopren (wetsuit) cut into tubing to tuck it in after my crotch strap
i think i got some in my pics
its behind the strap you can bearly see it but its there.

scuba_gear_007.jpg

I keep my buckle about an inch or two to the right (as I'm wearing it) of the crotch strap. The "extra" is about 2-3 inches long and lays flat, even though it's on the outside.

The webbing coming from the right side is just long enough to extend just past the crotch strap, which holds it in place.

When putting on the harness you would thread the "Buckle" through the crotch strap?

yes

tau:
When putting on the harness you would thread the "Buckle" through the crotch strap?
Depends on the type of crotch strap you're using ...

With the standard 2" crotch strap, you thread it through the waist harness buckle. The 1" Dive Rite strap shown in the photo above uses a quick-release buckle. A "loop" with the female end of the QR buckle is permanently mounted to the left of the waist harness buckle.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

I see. I have the 2 inch DiveRite Crotch strap, so i will thread through the waist strap.

thanks.

I realize that the recommended way is to thread the buckle through the crotch strap loop (on crotch straps with a loop), but I prefer keeping my buckle just to the left of center and I thread the buckle-less side through the loop. I do this because I fear that having the buckle threaded through the loop will facilitate accidental release of the buckle should the strap loop move to the right which could then easily get between the buckle release and the strap. Furthermore, it is easier to put a piece of webbing through the loop than webbing with a buckle (and its easier to release it when removing gear).

Any justification for the buckle side that I failed to consider?

Yea, your knife goes where you just put your buckle. :)

Seriously, the buckle should move about 6" away from the crotch strap. Unless your body is built vastly different from mine, or you can move your hip out of joint easily, there is not feasible way to move the crotch strap over far enough to undo the buckle. I can't do it if I "TRY" to do it.

The other consideration is when you wear a weightbelt, the buckle for THAT is on center. I've considered making it left hand release, but haven't done that. I think they used to teach that, but I see it's not that way anymore.

Back
Top Bottom