Fresh water crayfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
I always wanted to try making something from those little critters at the bottom of the lake. Does anyone have a quick and easy, yet good recipe for the little bugs?

Are there any issues concerning just going and picking a few from the bottom of a lake and cooking them up? Any special storing, washing, cleaning, cooking instructions? What would they taste like? Lobsteresque? Or am I just wasting my time with them?!

Please help, going to the lake for a quick dive and wouldn't mind trying a few.

Just boil them in water alive, they're great, especially the cold water ones. Serve with garlic butter if you want, add a little cajon seasoning to the water if you want also.
Catch as many as you can, 100 ain't too many.

My Dad's family is from Louisiana and when we went back they used to have crawfish and crab boils! Mmmm!

In a huge pot, they would have seasonings (you can pick up some pre-made ones in the store-- cajun seasonings). In the pot would go potatoes, corn, onions (flavoring) crawfish and crabs. They would get cooked, drained, and thrown on a picnic table covered in newspaper and beer bottles. So good!

Tamas:
I always wanted to try making something from those little critters at the bottom of the lake. Does anyone have a quick and easy, yet good recipe for the little bugs?

Are there any issues concerning just going and picking a few from the bottom of a lake and cooking them up? Any special storing, washing, cleaning, cooking instructions? What would they taste like? Lobsteresque? Or am I just wasting my time with them?!

Please help, going to the lake for a quick dive and wouldn't mind trying a few.

Hi Tamas,

Check this thread out that I wrote a while back. Some helpful folks answered the same question for me. They are tasty buggers! http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=114502

They are good if caught in (relatively) clean water. We store them in frsh water until close to time to cook them then soak them in a salt water brine before dropping them in the pot.

I prefer to strip and eat the tail on them lobster style and ignore the rest. We do have a few die hards though that will suck the greeny-yellowish ooze out of the head. That seems to occur more frequently after a substantial amout of alcohol has been consumed.

Back
Top Bottom