Does any know the Daytona area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

costi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Being a newcomer to diving(certified in April), and also a newcomer to researching diving outside of Maine, I could use a bit of advise: In February I am planning on leaving the cold for a bit and taking a trip to just outside of Daytona (New Smyrna) to visit my "mother in-law". I need to find some water to dive in!
Can anyone give me some advise as to where to look to find a reputable dive outfit in tha area? Or a club to dive with. I actually don't have any preferences as to whether I do a couple of beach dives or a boat dive as long as I get the chance to blow some bubbles.
Any input would be appreciated!.............bob--

I'm in Palm Coast and if you want a day trip you could try Alexander springs. Its not very deep 25' but there is a lot to see. I have'nt been offshore because everyone tells me the vis is lousey and not much to dive on. Most people who I know that go offshore go to stick fish.

First, Feb is not a good time for ocean diving in general. But south of there to West Palm Beach it might be okay (about 2 1/2 hours). Or you might want to travel to Blue Spring in Orange City (check out www.floridasprings.com). For a dive operation in New Smyrna Beach try SeaDogs 385-424-1644.
I'd suggest you post a "want to dive" message just prior to your trip, I'm sure a few Florida conchs would love to dive with you. Good luck.

phoneman:
I'm in Palm Coast and if you want a day trip you could try Alexander springs. Its not very deep 25' but there is a lot to see. I have'nt been offshore because everyone tells me the vis is lousey and not much to dive on. Most people who I know that go offshore go to stick fish.
The lack of depth doesn't bother me....I've only been a bit over 40 to date. Usually any depth has its own offerings. What do you consider lousy vis.? I've never had over 20 feet up here in the ocean.
Thanks, I'll check it out!

It doesn't necessarilly need to be in the ocean for that matter. I guess I thinking "Down South, warm ocean, lots of vis." Shows my inexperience as a world traveller....need to get out more. At least with this new diving bug i have a reason to travel!
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good idea to post prior to the trip....bob

I have to also recommend Sea Dogs divers

website
http://www.seadogdiver.com/entrance.htm

I've been going to Daytona beach for the last 4 years in March (3 weeks each time). There is a dive shop/charter in Port Orange (close to the Dunlawton Bridge) but the service was not as i would have expected. The Sea Dogs were MUCH more friendly. They do lobster diving during season (actually Forida lobsters or langostas, not Maine's clawed one), also excursions inland in springs and wreck and reef diving also.

But i still preferred to go south to the Keys cause the weather often is a cancellation factor in North Florida. It's a long ride though but hey, after 25 hours of driving, what is 4 or 5 more:05:

But still it's not sure. I went to the Keys once and during 3 days, no boats were going out due to strong winds.

Good luck

What about in Maine? I go twice a year near Saco/Biddeford and never got a chance to dive there (no diving center and no buddy). Where do you dive in Maine?

wardric:
What about in Maine? I go twice a year near Saco/Biddeford and never got a chance to dive there (no diving center and no buddy). Where do you dive in Maine?
Been diving mostly in Southern Maine. I only got certified 20 dives ago so I am by no means well versed in dive sites. I find that my favorite Site is St. Ann's in Kennebunkport. (down near Bush's home) The site always seems to offer something different depending on the tide. not very deep there...I have only found about 33 feet offshore.. Others with whom i dive venture out of the cove and get into the 40's. usually there is plenty of life at any depth.
Biddeford Pool. The Old coast guard station is supposed to be a nice dive. I went on a short dive there in adverse conditions (extreme fog) and stayed near shore. Had potential.
Nubble Light in Cape Neddick near York Village seems to be a prime site for many. Need to be careful that you can't dive there on Sundays or holidays during the summer season. Should be dived at high tide and because of it's scenery, parking can be a problem. I haven't been there myself....yet.
Colony Beach in Kennebunkport.....nice easy dive...lots of critters.
Depending on your ability or interests: The wreck of the Wanby is supposed to be nice...Should be guided the first time. ..quite a surface swim if you opt to take off from shore. Is advertised as an experienced wreck divers dive.This is also in Kennebunkport.
In Cape Elizabeth, right down the street from Biddeford, I have done Kettle Cove. This is a beautiful park. An easy beach entry, easy dive. 20-30 ft. Vis. when I went wasn't great but depending on the conditions it gets better. Need to see the warden to get a permit at no charge but he is usually around. Just be sure you have your c-card.
Two Lights next to Kettle cove is also a very nice dive. It is a bit deeper and offers a variety of sea life along the seawall, plenty of lobsters, crabs, wolffish, rays, stipers, etc.
Ships Cove...again near Kettle is supposed to be a nice dive...sort of a cave in one spot. Vis. isn't always the greatest.

That's a good start on Salt water. As far as freah water is concerned....pick a lake and jump in !.....with a flag of course. could be a lot of traffic depending on the time of year...and not everyone knows or cares that you are under them.
We did Sebago lake State Park this Summer in Naples, about 30 miles outside of Saco. Nice park...need c-card. Withing a short distance from shore the water drops to about 200 feet.
Trickey Pond in Naples is potentially a nice dive. It boasts crystal clear water to 70 feet I believe...maybe shallower. When I went there seemed to be a bloom going on so vis wasn't crystal clear, but it wasn't bad.
Kennebunk pond is a nice easy after work type dive. Beach entry, vis. not bad. been down 40 feet there, not sure how deep the deepest is. It is also a spot frequented for ice diving.
For the most part, southern Maine, or the coast of Maine in general , with all of it's little coves seem to offer quite an abundance of dive sites as you can see from the few that i have listed in the Biddeford/Saco area.
I have been diving since April 29 and became associated with a few divers of my
same ability. As the summer passed on, the circle increased in size and experience levels and is still growing. As noted, I have only logged 20 dives since april, but some of these folks have logged as many as 60-70 dives I imagine by now.
Give me a call if you are in town..maybe we can either hook up or i can get you in touch with someone that will be glad to go "blow some bubbles"
....bob

wardric:
I have to also recommend Sea Dogs divers

website
http://www.seadogdiver.com/entrance.htm

I've been going to Daytona beach for the last 4 years in March (3 weeks each time). There is a dive shop/charter in Port Orange (close to the Dunlawton Bridge) but the service was not as i would have expected. The Sea Dogs were MUCH more friendly. They do lobster diving during season (actually Forida lobsters or langostas, not Maine's clawed one), also excursions inland in springs and wreck and reef diving also.

But i still preferred to go south to the Keys cause the weather often is a cancellation factor in North Florida. It's a long ride though but hey, after 25 hours of driving, what is 4 or 5 more:05:

But still it's not sure. I went to the Keys once and during 3 days, no boats were going out due to strong winds.

Good luck

I haven't been diving with Sea Dogs. Their schedule didn't work with mine. I have been diving with Discover Diving and my experience wasn't bad at all. Jerry (the guy in the shop) was friendly enough, and Bruce (the captain) was very friendly.

As far as diving off the coast, 2 of the 3 trips I've booked have been cancelled because of condition. The time I got to dive the seas were flat and the viz was 30'.

metaldector:
...Or you might want to travel to Blue Spring in Orange City (check out www.floridasprings.com)...

I wouldn't recommend Blue Spring for a new diver. Last Spring the water level was down about 15' and the flow was ripping. Only way to get down and stay down was by pulling yourself down the rock wall. One slip and you've gonna see the surface pretty quickly.

I have some pic of Alexander if I can can get sometime I'll try to post them. The diving there is very laid back if you go early on the weekend or mid week you'll have the place to yourself. It's usually crystal clear until alot of people show up. You can see everything from gators to minnows. It's like diving in a fish bowl. I work alot but if you want an anchor to dive with drop me a line when you get here.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom