Integrated STA Removal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrk

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased a Halcyon, or other, single tank wing that came with a built in Single Tank Adapter...ie, two little rods that are sewn into the wing, and removed them so the wing could be used with a real STA? I have a new single tank wing in mind from Golem Gear and it comes with this built in. I know it won't be rocket science to remove these things, but I hate to butcher a brand new wing. Has anyone done this and come up with a method of doing it so the integrity of the wing is not jepeordized?

Thanks for your time,
Randy

The rods don't need to be removed in order to use a "real" STA.

Thanks for the replies. I'm interested in removing them to keep the distance the tank is off my back to a minimum, as a real STA is bad enough, but its distance is trumped by the purchase it awards over the integrated STA...in my ipinion. I justed wanted to do it as professionally as possible.

Thanks,
Randy

Utility knife, or x-acto knife, small slit at the top, squeeze them out like a zit and put some marine goop on the slits. piece of cake and they it works much better if you do take them out.

I'm curious why folks don't like the built in sta? Personally I prefer it to my "real" sta as the rig is smaller, and the tank sits as close to my back as possible. I don't notice any difference in stability either.

kidspot:
I'm curious why folks don't like the built in sta? Personally I prefer it to my "real" sta as the rig is smaller, and the tank sits as close to my back as possible. I don't notice any difference in stability either.

In my case as a cold water diver I prefer to use a SS STA for the extra weight it gives me, and the separate STA seems to hold a heavy steel tank better than the built in rods (the bands are farther apart). YMMV...

kidspot:
I got rid of the rods because tanks just wouldn't sit right in the built in STA. But my problem was that I was using the wrong type of bolts. I will be going back to the rods (built in STA) when I get the wing back from my brother.

Use DSS's (Tobin? the names are synonymous) rubber chanel wedge design. Its bloody brilliant, keeping 'yo system tight' :D But I don't know about the metal grommets in the fabric.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom