Keys Trip Report Oct. 15th - 17th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dyarab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First day back to work after long weekend of diving in the Keys. Looks like we got out just in time... we heard evacuation orders for tourists and non-residents on the radio on the drive back to Atlanta. Good luck guys!!

We stayed at Island Bay Resort. Very nice place, would defintely stay there again. Nice rooms, a bit on the small side but you get a sink, fridge, microwave and small stove. Plus, there is a charcoal grill outside should you choose to get some fresh fish. One tiny drawback was that I was eaten alive buy mosquitos while we hung out at night and had a couple beers. I have over 120 bites on mostly my legs and a few on my arms. No lie... I counted. So remember the insect repellent.

We dove with Divers City USA, mainly because of their reputation on these boards. I second that reputation. I cannot say enough good things about them. Barbara and Bob run a top notch operation, and I doubt I will ever dive with anyone else in the Keys again... providing they have availablilty. No knock on anyone other ops... I was just blown away by them. They have great senses of humor and really know their trade. Their briefings are among the best I have ever gotten on divesites... anywhere!! (granted I have only been diving for a little over a year, but I know a good and bad breifing when I hear one :) )

We did an afternoon dive on Sat 15th. Our first dive was Conch Wall. Vis was about 50-60 feet I'd say. My max depth was about 90 feet and was down for about 40 minutes. Saw a nice sized barracuda on descent down the "wall" but not much else of interest... your usual Keys marine life.

Crocker Ledges (I think)was the second dive. Nice with abunch of life but nothing to write home about.

What made it fun was the 3-4 foot seas. I was getting a little nauseous and was anxious to get in the water. Of course, Bob had to mess with me right before I got up to head in. He told me I had hair caught in my mask... I pretty much have my hair high and tight. Of course, I took off my mask to check and he just shook his head. DOH!

Then we did a morning dive on 16th. First dive was the Eagle. It was my first time on the Eagle and I was looking forward to it. All mooring balls were occupied so they hot dropped on the stern... that was a blast. I wish more ops did that. Seas were even more rough that day... probably 5-6 feet. Again, in my delusion I found it fun. The Eagle was a great dive, we did it on Nitrox (32%) and spent all of our time on the stern section. A good chunk of that was below 90 feet. I think my max depth was 108. We ascended and the small private boat was still tied onto the ball and getting battered around by the waves. So they told us to drift and they picked us up. I can't wait to dive the Eagle again.

I think the second dive was Conch Ledges (again not sure, I'm a little foggy on the second dive for some reason). That was a great dive. Lots of nurse sharks, a stingray in the sand let us study him for quite a while before he had enough of us, about a 6 foot moray that was swimming along the reef after freaking out my wife. Came out of his hole right at her face... it was funny. The eel wasn't being aggressive, she just didnt see him. Funny.

We did a three tank trip on the 16th starting at the Grove. Seas were agin about 3-4 feet. We were the only boat on the wreck and had her all to ourselves... awesome!!! We dove Nitrox (32%) again. We tied on at the bow and got to drift her... we got picked up on the starboard stern buoy. The current was very mild and it was an easy dive. Some decent sized grouper and another big green moray (7-8 feet) swimming near our ascent line. My second time on the Grove, such a cool dive, even cooler since we got to drift it. I think I hit 102 when I dropped down below the helicopter pad to take a quick look underneath.

Second dive was the Benwood. I really like this dive, it was my third time. Saw a nice sized nurse shark and a loggerhead turtle. Lots of schooling grunts. Such a nice easy dive... how can ya not like it.

Third dive was Molassess South, Fire Coral Caves. Goliath Grouper hanging out under a ledge with about 3-4 smaller grouper keeping him company. Eagle Ray swam right by my wife and I. Nice easy dive to finish the trip.

Then headed to St. Pete the next day, and home the day after that. Great trip even with the rough seas.

Trying to figure out when we can head back down... will be hard to squeeze in another with Coz and Bon coming up. I love the Keys. :D

dyarab,
thank you for the very positive trip report.
i like the keys too.
sounds like y'all found a good op.
what mile marker can you find divers city usa?
regards,

Thanks for the report. Man, I miss the keys.

Diver's City is about MM91. I'm a big fan of Bob and Barb, they run a fantastic operation.

Rachel

hey biscuit7, thanks for the info.
i'll try to go with them my next trip.
i'll wait untill wilma's visit is over.
maybe she'll take the grove and leave her upside down.

Get the word out for Diver City. They also do night dives on the Duane. As to diving in less than ideal conditions, I cut my teeth with them doing hot drops and stern tie offs. I have also completed several drift dives with them too. Once we hot dropped on the Spiegel Grove and did two drift dives that day.

They also do Nitrox and have steel tanks for rent. Need I same more?

Sorry I haven't been watching the thread the last couple days... I have trying to re-plan my next dive trip... was supposed to go to Coz over Thanksgiving. Wilma put an end to that.

Divers City USA is great, I wont use another op as long as I'm staying north of Marathon. Pretty sure that are MM 90.5 (91 worjs though :wink: ) on oceanside. I was tempted to dive steel for the first time but decided to stick with AL 80's cause I didnt wanna screw with my bouyancy and be dealing with it on the wrecks. Next time I'll get some Steel. :wink: I just can't say enough about Barbara and Bob, they make diving even more fun. I especially liked their "Nitrox Rox, Air Sux" T-shirts. Had to have that!!

I have yet to dive the Duane and Bibb, but they are defintely on my list. I'll probably hit those next trip down. A night dive on the Duane would be cool... not sure if the wife would be up for that.

I must say drifting the Grove with no one else on the wreck was especially sweet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom