Buying a New Digital SLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karant

Reaction score
I am thinking about upgrading my camera system. I currently use the Olympus C5050Z with PT-015 housing, and double Sea & Sea YS90AUTO strobes. The big delimma...what to upgrade to.... I have looked at Nikon and Canon for digital SLR. Any other models I have not thought about, that I should consider? I am on somewhat of a budget, but willing to pay the price for the results. I usually do 2-4 dives a week in cold water with about 30-40 warm water dives on vacations. In other words, I dive ALOT and take ALOT of photos.
I LOVE my current Olympus setup, and will definitely hold on to the system for a backup. I guess that is another reason to upgrade. I have flooded, once, operator error, ugh, but insured, whew! I know the C5050 is out of date, so would like to have a newer more updated system.

Thanks.

Karant,

I'm a pro photographer and I believe the Canon digital system can't be beat. I like the 20d and the new Rebel. Go with Canon optics, they are unsurpassed. For serious work, the 1d MarkII is incredibly rugged, it features the best seals in the industry to date, but they you are really adding a lot of weight.

If you want to PM me, I would be happy to go into greater detail.

Jeff

I hope your budget is significant. I recently purchased the Olympus Evolt E-300 and the Olympus housing for it. This was as a replacement for my Oly C3040. The housing cost more than the camera. All total in excess of $2,000. The housings for most SLR's are pretty expensive. I have not gotten my camera in the water yet. We finally have some good viz here in SoCal (No red tide). Good luck with your purchase.

Love my Canon Digital Rebel. Recently bought the old version (which I prefer over the XT) and only paid $649.00 (new) online.

I just moved to the Canon 20D. I, too, will not give up the Oly,though :)

Be prepared to spend some bucks - it's not just the body, cards, battery, lenses and housing. It's the ports and maybe the focus gears and zoom rings depending on the housing. Oh yeah, and maybe another strobe and or new cords to connect :wink:

And a new bag to carry everything in...

I'm glad I did it, but still not convinced dslr is the be all end all...and I dive pretty frequently...

Ok, have to chime in with the new Nikon D200. No housings yet but they will follow. As far as optics I think there are plenty who would say Nikon leads the pack especially regarding lenses that go in housings. For +200mm sport photography Canon does seem to have the edge.

Depending on your budget, there are so many choices. Don't forget that the camera is only a small part of overall budget when you factor in housing, ports, lenses and strobes. Your Sea and Sea strobes are ok but recycle time is quite long which may be come somewhat annoying when using dSLR.
Personally I would stay with either Canon or Nikon as you have many more choices for lenses and housings. At budget (relatively speaking) end, Canon Rebel 350D (or whatever it is), D20, Nikon D70s, middle range Canon 5D, Nikon D200 or high end Canon 1D2 MkII/1D MkII Nikon D2X should be on your short shopping list.
Figure out your budget first then see what range you can afford. At lower end cropped sensor, I think Nikon has a slight edge mainly because of the availability of the 10.5mm lens which gives more option for wide angle photography. At mid and high end, the main debate will be cropped vs full frame sensor and higher noise at high ISO vs price/performence.

I would echo these guys - leaning towards the Canon guys; once you shoot through one of those 'L' lenses you'll be ruined for life - but just out of curiosity, what are some of the reasons you're upgrading? That could make the choice easier.

karant:
I am thinking about upgrading my camera system. I currently use the Olympus C5050Z with PT-015 housing, and double Sea & Sea YS90AUTO strobes. The big delimma...what to upgrade to.... I have looked at Nikon and Canon for digital SLR. Any other models I have not thought about, that I should consider? I am on somewhat of a budget, but willing to pay the price for the results. I usually do 2-4 dives a week in cold water with about 30-40 warm water dives on vacations. In other words, I dive ALOT and take ALOT of photos.
I LOVE my current Olympus setup, and will definitely hold on to the system for a backup. I guess that is another reason to upgrade. I have flooded, once, operator error, ugh, but insured, whew! I know the C5050 is out of date, so would like to have a newer more updated system.

Thanks.

as per the hundeds of identical questions that have been asked previously, you have opened up a whole can of worms or hornets nest!

straight away the first post is of the mine is better than yours!!!!

if you read dpreview they are all almost identical in features and performance some bodies are slighly better than others and other lenses are slightly better than others, its swings and roundabouts.

work out what sort of shots you want to take macro, wide etc. are you going to use it on land, then you can see what compatible lenses there are.

take a day out and go and play with them take lots of photo's play with the menus and try the advanced settings, if you have to press two buttons and twiddle a dial as well then you will not get far under water!

no point in buying a pro's recomendation if it doesn't meet your needs in terms of lenses, housings, ports and more importantly ease of use!

it is also worth checking out the cost of secondhand lenses, if you cant afford to go the whole hog.

and as a side note there is a big difference between someone saying i like this range and actually owing it and using it!

Back
Top Bottom