Alternatives to plastic fas-tex side-release buckles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seylerdl

Registered
Reaction score
Many discussions can be found on this board about the potential for failure inherent in the common, plastic, Fas-Tex-type side-release buckle. I asked this question in another thread, in relation to this type buckle being used on the Halcyon ACB weight system. The two problems I think I have heard in relation to this type of fastener are:
1) It can accidentally release, and
2) Being made of plastic, it can easily break.

What alternatives are there? Does someone make a stainless steel quick-release buckle that would be more secure, stronger, and less prone to accidental release? I guess the chances of my Halcyon ACB weight-retention buckle failing are pretty small, BUT I really do not want to see one of my weights fall out when I don't want it to. Of course, in an emergency, I would want to be able to quickly ditch......

Any ideas anyone???

Thanks,
Dave

What comes to mind is how many thousands of times a quick release buckle on the shoulder of a rental BC gets used with the weight of full gear without failing. None that I know of. The chance if your buckle failing with 10# of weight max is minor.

Just my 2¢...I'd find something else to worry about!

I'm a contractor, carpenter by trade...my tool/nail apron uses these buckels. They are bulletproof. I am very tough on my apron,(always full of tools and fastneres, often 15-20 lbs easy) and use it daily. Current apron is 4 yrs old, stiching is giving way. (Similar material as bc's.) The buckle is as new, after many thousands of use cycles. It has never failed in any way. I wouldn't give a second thought as to one failing. Just my two pennies! :)

I think Scubapro makes a really nice SS buckle...not sure where you could pick one up though...maybe Leisurepro?

They come standard with Halcyon harness/backplate so a shop that sells Halcyon stuff might be able to get one in. I went to two Scubapro dealers and they were not able to get them in quickly.

It is an excellent buckle. Way better than anything else I have seen.

~Marlinspike

I didn't know they were that hard to find...I was thinking about replacing the buckle on my weightbelt with one...let me know if you find one online somewhere and I will do likewise.

If you are looking for a SS buckle for you weight belt, DiveRite sells them. They are only a couple of bucks. Any store that sells DiveRite usually has them in stock. I use them for my harness.

Thanks for the replies.
HOWEVER, I am talking about the smaller (1"?) fas-tex buckle that holds the Halcyon ACB weight belt pockets closed, NOT the big main buckle that holds a normal weight belt to your waist. The large SS weight belt main buckles are easy to find. I have not found reference to the other......

Dave

Sorry about that. My post was for O-Ring who asked about SS weight belt buckles. I have no clue where you could find one of the fastex 1" buckles from in SS.

seylerdl,
I forgot the ACBs use a different buckle (I have only seen them once)...not sure where you would find a small SS buckle. I was in a Halcyon shop today and I didn't see any, but who knows...I may run across some somewhere and I will post if I do...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom