Which Digital

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevensally

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Olympus C5050 combined with a Inon D180 strobe that I have been pleased with for under water use. Unfortunately it has started switching itself off randomly (the batteries are OK) so I am looking to replace it. The problem is I can't afford the digital SLR route because of the cost of the housings and I like to set the camera in manual mode which rules out most of the Cannon range. Can anyone suggest a good replacement. I have looked at the C7070 but understand this is to be replaced shortly.
Many Thanks
:14:

Yeah, the 7070 is being discontinued...haven't heard about a replacement yet. If you are an Oly fan and if you hurry, you'll still get one. As Hvulin says Canon S series offer some of the same features that the olys do and might be worth looking into.
My suggestion, if you are shopping around for new, go for the more pixel so you have more quality when you crop and something that is a bit faster than your 5050

The Olympus SP-350 looks pretty good - 8MP, RAW, 2 u/w modes - plus it's going for a little over $300 right now plus another $190 for the housing.

You could check out the Canon A95s - they have full manual controls and do a great job. As above the S series also offers manual, at least some of them. RAW is a definite bonus in a lot of situations...though I still have a Canon A75 that is my back up back up camera with no RAW capabilities.

Fuji 810 if you can find one also has RAW and manual.

You could find another 5050. I just added a dslr to my kit but won't be giving up the 5050s - they are gems, IMHO.

Thanks for your input. I have looked at the spec for the sp350 and it looks pretty good. Especially the large LCD, however I noted this has less pixels than the 5050. Does anyone know if any of the other cameras suggested has slave flash mode and fire the flash in super macro mode. I can't see this information on the spec sheets but I use slave mode on the 5050 regularly and also my inon requires the 5050 flash to fire when in super macro.

Thanks

stevensally:
Hi, I have a Olympus C5050 combined with a Inon D180 strobe that I have been pleased with for under water use. Unfortunately it has started switching itself off randomly (the batteries are OK) so I am looking to replace it. The problem is I can't afford the digital SLR route because of the cost of the housings and I like to set the camera in manual mode which rules out most of the Cannon range. Can anyone suggest a good replacement. I have looked at the C7070 but understand this is to be replaced shortly.
Many Thanks
:14:

I had a 5060 that was also switching itself off. I sent it in to Olympus and it turns out it was the mode dial that sits on top of the power switch malfunctioning. Not sure if the 5050's have a similar design.

In any case, if you like your 5050, send it to Olympus. Even if it's not under warranty, they will look at it and give you a repair quote for free. Might be cheaper than buying a new one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom