Used B/P wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DTB1981

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just found this setup used on island, What do you guys think? Pro's Con's. Should I go for it? The tanks are good for hydro.

That wing has an awful lot of dump valves on it (all potential major failure points particularly given their position), the inflator/octo is less than worthless and should be replaced (only $20 for an inflator though), the inflator is ridiculously long, the pull dump should be removed, the pockets on the waist are worthless because waist pockets are hard to get into, the harness is overly convoluted and has the massive 3" shoulder straps that I hear people complain about constantly..

The tanks might be useful, but it looks like they have the odd angle that makes your first stages stick up into the air....

In short, IMO of course, this is the type of trash OMS has been marketing for years.. people buy it because it looks so very cool and technical, not because it works.

I think you should get a simple Hog setup and build from there. About the only thing I'd snag off that unit would be the tanks and the backplate and hardware (D-rings).

Unless I was trying to raise the titanic on my back... then it might be useful.

Jonnythan, is that one of the dual bladder rescue BCs? If so, it would explain the position of the dump valves. Where the wearer INTENDED to be vertical for work purposes.

PerroneFord:
Jonnythan, is that one of the dual bladder rescue BCs? If so, it would explain the position of the dump valves. Where the wearer INTENDED to be vertical for work purposes.
One inflator, one bladder.... at least, only one bladder you can use....

DTB1981:
I just found this setup used on island, What do you guys think? Pro's Con's. Should I go for it? The tanks are good for hydro.
The manifold is a Genesis manifold, I have used them and found the angle to be a bit annoying, but it really depends on your first stages. Just think about the hose routing and answer this one for yourself. The best part about the manifold is that it is already on the tanks. Personally I greatly prefer a one piece harness so I vote a big no on the harness. I also do not use a back pad so a no on that. I can't see the plate but I am guessing that it is a standard Stainless Steel OMS plate, I don't need the extra weight of the Stainless plate when diving doubles, so for me the weight is not needed but an Aluminum plate would probably be fine, so a no for Stainless, but a yes for Aluminum on the plate. I don't have a problem with bungee wings but I think that anything over 55 lbs of lift is not needed so judge this one for yourself. The inflator hose looks too long so you might want to think about replacing it. If the tanks are in current hydro and vis then the only consideration is capacity and sheer bulk again, these are factors only you can know.

Generally this rig will need some work to make it ready for diving, but this is only MY opinion. If it were ME I would probably pass on it unless it was really cheap. The choice is yours. But, it might be worth it for the tanks only, then scrap the parts you don't want and replace them with others.

Best of luck,

Mark Vlahos

If you like it, buy it... if it works for you... GREAT! It gets to me when all these hogarthian and DIR guys feel the need to preach to others. I've had an OMS for 6 years, and not once has it been a problem. The biggest mistake would be getting a BC that isn't comfortable for you. Have fun with your new OMS, she looks like a beaut...

fishb0y:
If you like it, buy it... if it works for you... GREAT! It gets to me when all these hogarthian and DIR guys feel the need to preach to others. I've had an OMS for 6 years, and not once has it been a problem. The biggest mistake would be getting a BC that isn't comfortable for you. Have fun with your new OMS, she looks like a beaut...
fishb0y,

Relax, the original post clearly asked for opinions, "What do you guys think? Pro's Con's. Should I go for it? I gave my opinion, but I clearly stated that it was MY opinion, I thought I gave a pretty balanced critique. If your reply is not about my post you should say so, before you blast "all these hogarthian and DIR guys".

Mark Vlahos

fishb0y:
Dude he asked us for opinions!! Calm down, eh?

DTB1981:
It's difficult to give a good response without knowing two things ...

1. What sort of diving you plan to do with it?
2. How much are they asking?

That looks like a Genesis manifold, which is what I started out with. I wasn't very impressed, and ended up replacing it with a Sea Elite (which you can purchase for a reasonable price on the Internet).

The wing looks very large ... I started out with a 70# wing, and struggled a lot with trim. Finally replaced it with a much smaller (40#) wing, and my comfort zone improved by a lot on the very first dive. I would counsel going with a smaller wing unless you need a big wing for diving multiple stages.

Those are about the only two things I'd put out for consideration ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Id get the tanks and the bp. And I would then sell the manifold and buy a SeaElite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom