Roasted seaweed and other sea goodies...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
I was feeling adventurous this weekend so I gathered some seafoods to experiment with.

At the moment I am roasting dulse in a 170-200F oven. It is REALLY tasty when roasted! :D Very similar to potato chips with a slight sea aftertaste. I collected some with help from my buddy, rinsed it very well in fresh water, sprayed a cookie sheet with olive oil and layed the dulse on it in a single layer. I'm leaving it in the oven until it is dry and crispy. I'm going to use it in soups and on rice and salads. I think it is a good source of nutrients like iodine bit don't quote me there.

I also had some edible periwinkles last night. I was being lazy so I rinsed them thoroughly in cold freshwater and then dumped them in water I had brought to a rolling boil. I let them cook long enough to kill germs and then I fished them out, removed the opercula, removed them from the shells with a toothpick and dunked them in melted butter. That kept me busy for like an hour hee hee :D
My buddy suggested a couple of other ways to prepare them if you're feeling more energetic: cook as above, clean, and marinate in a vinegarette of some sort or cook as above, clean, insert in mushroom cap with melted butter.

I once hosted a Chinese kelp researcher at my lab at UCSB. When it was time for him to return to China, he treated all of us in the lab to a multi-course dinner. Each course was loaded with various seaweeds including kelp. It was quite tasty.

When I was teaching high school decades ago, I did an annual "survival hike" to a beach on the other side of the island. Although some of my students snuck in steaks to cook on the sly, several of us had a stew made with Tegula (a local intertidal snail), owl limpet, cactus pads, an occasional crab or even lobster, seaweed, etc. Now a days you'd probably get sued for mistreating your students if you tried that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom