Mexican Caribbean Windy Wilma update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattmexico

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello all

Hurricane WIlma has passed, it was strong, long, noisy, windy, lots of rain and sooo slow ... the storm started Friday 4:00 and the eye was passing over Playa Friday 23:00, the last strong winds went away Sunday 11:00. Cel phone service was up and running through the whole storm.

We just got electricity back in very small parts of Playa del Carmen a couple of minutes ago, and the internet is working in the moment. The sun is shining and the ocean is flat.

Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Puerto Morelos and Isla Mujeres got hit hard by Hurricane Wilma. Puerto Aventuras got hit as well but not as hard as the last time, Emily. Seems like that Akumal and Tulum are in good shape.

The road north to Cancun between Puerto Morelos and Cancun is still flooded and can not be passed, the road to Puerto Merelos down through the mangroves is flooded too. Around Puerto Morelos a couple of large electicity tower are nocked over.

We have no news from Cozumel other then one phone call, it sounded bad and hit hard.

In Playa del Carmen and Puerto Morelos Restaurants are open, stores are open, water can be bought. ProTec is open and working, we are diving in the caves, don't know when in the ocean but soon. Our hotel is open as well and running. Gass stations are still down but I am very confident that this will change soon.

One word about the water, gas, electricity, fire fighters, police, protecion civil, ambulances and emergency service workers of this area and the ones that came from all over Mexico ( Q.Roo south, Yucatan, Chiapas, Campeche, etc ) to help here. Absolutly awesome. They work so hard and dedicated to get the life back on the road, awesome.

All our staff and friends are ok, most of us where satying in Mom's hotel for three nights.

A newsletter will follow soon with more detailed info and photos

Matt
www.protecdiving.com

Glad to here that you didn't receive that much damage. I know Cozumel was hammered. Hopefully you all didn't lose too much more of your shoreline beaches, I know PDC area was trying to build them back up from their last hit.

Good to hear you made it Matt, I passed buy the other day looking for you and scott, but you were closed up.

Back
Top Bottom