Transpac adjustment problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Now I understand that alot of people are real fans of the B/p Wing setup, saying that it's far more stable than for example my transpac with rec wing. I would be especially interested to hear form people that have used both, with twin steel 10.5/85's.

I jumped in the pool today to try out my gear and found the following problems once under the water. The stability of the unit as a whole did not feel as good as I'd hoped, although I'm comming from diving singles in jacket style BCD's, so am wondering if sideways shift is just part of the package that comes with doubles. I found it hard to work out the best place to set the waist band and the shoulder straps. It was either to loose making the unit sloppy or the chest strap was almost under my neck. Could any of this be greatly changed by the position of the sliding attachment points that join the shoulder straps onto the waist band? I thought that using the crotch strap would help but using it felt like the waist band was being pulled both downward and upward at the same time.

Also in terms of trim underwater I found myself feeling thrown forward. I'm diving wet in a 7mm suit with jetfins but it did not feel like it was my legs lifting that was the problem. This could simpley again be getting used to a back inflate unit but I wonder if it would help to adjust the tanks up or down in the bands or shift the tanks & bands as unit up and down the different height holes on the tranpac.

Help! as someone recently said to me I do feel a bit like a drunken turtle.

We have a couple threads on the board complaining about the transpac's "riding up" tendency. A lot of folks (me included) find that larger tanks equate with frequent banging of the head.

The first simple fix is to try using the crotchstrap that goes with the TransPac. But you already tried that. Your descriptors sound painful.:11:

It also sounds like your TransPac is too big, seeing as you're commenting about it shifting around a lot, while wearing a 7mm suit. Your TransPac should be fitting rather snugly without wearing any exposure suit. This will deal with a lot of the riding up issues.

Is all the air vented from your wings in the pool? If you're overweighted, all the compensating air in your bladder will make the TransPac seriously ride up in most body positions.

Back-inflate BCD's will often give jacket-BCD divers a strong notion of that forward-throwing feeling you're describing. I suppose we all just get used to it. :10:

The throwing forward thing is actually good, unless your fins are floating above your head. It means you're becoming horizontal, which is the way to be. When you relax, do you get horizontal?

I have dived both; a Transpac and now a steel BP and I can't say that I noticed much difference in trim. I will say that the riding-up problem you refer to is no longer present and that donning and doffing have become miraculously easy since I switched to the BP. HIH d

My main issue was that I felt that if I rolled left or right the tanks would shift not a huge amount but it did not feel totally snug and stable. Any ideas on how to limit that? Or is this something that just happens with heavy doubles? Do people using a b/p wing find this an issue?

I vote with Archman - either your TP harness is too big or its not adjusted quite right. You can call the folks at Dive Rite Express - they're really helpful in terms of helping go over how to adjust the harness and diagnose such problems.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/

Back
Top Bottom