Lead Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does a 10 pound lead block weigh 10 pounds, or does it have 10 pounds of negative buoyancy when submerged?

A ten pound block of lead weights ten pounds... that is a yogism.

A ten pound block of lead has less than ten pounds of negative buoyancy because it displaces water .

So a 10 pound block of lead weighs 10 pounds. Does the block of lead labeled "10" in the dive shop weigh ten pounds?

I don't have a scale handy :wink:

Well actually you will need to find out if the gravitational force at the scuba shop is the same at the place that stamped the bar 10. Because weight is actually the product of mass times the acceleration of gravity. The acceleration of gravity changes in different locations around the earth and in space.

omar (just call me perverse)

Originally posted by jonnythan
Does the block of lead labeled "10" in the dive shop weigh ten pounds?
Assuming that neither the shop nor the vendor is cheating and selling you something less than ten pounds as a 10.

What they are not selling you is ten pounds of negative buoyancy... if that was really your question.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Assuming that neither the shop nor the vendor is cheating and selling you something less than ten pounds as a 10.

What they are not selling you is ten pounds of negative buoyancy... if that was really your question.

I think so :jester:

The specific gravity of lead is 11.34 - which means that 11.34 pounds of lead displaces 1 pound of water, and if you had a waterproof scale it'd weigh 10.34 pounds when submerged, or about 91% or its weight in air.
Is that what you wanted?
Rick

If a woodchuck, could chuck WOOD?

Where do you guys think of this stuff and where do you learn these answers?

I am known as a bastion of useless trivia, but to you

I KOWTOW IN YOUR PRESENCE

Back
Top Bottom