Word from the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colonelchuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Other than watching Jim Cantore of the weather channel ride out Wilma in Key Largo, information is a bit sketchey. A friend and I are scheduled to fly into Miami on Sunday and Dive with Blue Water Divers out of Key Largo.

Any information about the effects of Wilma and adivce on the liklihood of some good diving next week would be appreciated.

thanks

Right now there is a roadblock on US1 so no one can even get in until roads are cleared and bridges are checked. I have not heard much from Key Largo but we heard from our neighbor in Marathon and apparently there was some flooding there, I believe everyone south of Marathon at least is without power, probably most places north are as well. Thats about all I know, you can check www.fla-keys.com for updates and US1 closure info. We were supposed to go down for Fantasy Fest this weekend but thats been postponed indefinitely as of now.

minimal damage in key largo; oceanside, with more extensive damage(flooding) to some exposed properties bayside. most of key largo, oceanside, had electricity last nite with bayside areas getting power today(most eating establishments, bars, stores and gas stations are open or planning to open tomorrow) both US1 and card sound road are open to residents only. iv'e heard that most dive operators in the upper keys suffered minimal, if any damage. winds are forecasted to be brisk thru saturday, so viz could be an issue. goodluck,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

reefman:
minimal damage in key largo; oceanside, with more extensive damage(flooding) to some exposed properties bayside. most of key largo, oceanside, had electricity last nite with bayside areas getting power today(most eating establishments, bars, stores and gas stations are open or planning to open tomorrow) both US1 and card sound road are open to residents only. iv'e heard that most dive operators in the upper keys suffered minimal, if any damage. winds are forecasted to be brisk thru saturday, so viz could be an issue. goodluck,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Thanks Reefman. Those of us who dive Puget Sound have pretty low standards for good vis. The ability to see your buddy is a real treat

colonelchuck:
Other than watching Jim Cantore of the weather channel ride out Wilma in Key Largo, information is a bit sketchey. A friend and I are scheduled to fly into Miami on Sunday and Dive with Blue Water Divers out of Key Largo.

Any information about the effects of Wilma and adivce on the liklihood of some good diving next week would be appreciated.

thanks

Or attempt to do so.

He hangs on the board some, but I'd call if possible, and send email as a second alternative.....

Vis may not be good, and it's impossible to say which Ops may be running, or no. If the sea's are churning, they may not go out.

Hi Ron,
One of these days, we are going to dive together! I was suppossed to go to Key West on Nov. 2nd. My best friend has a dive op there. He drydocked his boat, headed to Lauderdale, and I haven't heard from him since. I postponed my trip for about 10 days, now.
He is either supposed to email or call me ASAP, so I will turn around and post when I hear from him.

I just moved from Crested Butte to Ft Collins....I'm really looking forward to some warm clear water as I am sure you are!!!

Not sure what's going on up the keys, but the lower keys got massive flooding and plenty of water damage. My boat's fine, but I have no immediate plan to put it back in the water. We won't know about vis until anyone goes offshore and looks. It might be a few days yet...

Rachel

We were suppose to fly out yesterday, but have postponed untill next tuesday, Nov 1. I hope the Key Largo Holiday Inn and Coconuts Bar are OK. We were suppose to dive with dive inn. no word yet.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom